Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Uncontrollable PSI!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
rouski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 1
Default Uncontrollable PSI!

Hey everyone,

So I built a tiki bar a few months back and set up my own kegerator. I bought a two-product regulator from BeverageFactory and had problems with CO2 leakage pretty constantly. I'd get through one quarter keg and I'd have an empty tank. At first I thought it was because it was in the kegerator and was losing pressure because of the cold temperatures (high school science was worth something). I then kept the CO2 tank outside of the kegerator and had the same problem.

I sprayed every connection with soapy water and found a leak, tightened the $#!t out of it and the gas leak stopped. I checked a few hours later and the leak was back, so I tightened it again and didn't have any problems with it the rest of the night.

Just attached a new keg and the PSI rises uncontrollably until it maxes out and the relief valve pops. I've messed with the pressure adjuster knob (no idea what its actually called) to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!


rouski is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,784
Liked 4713 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 3972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouski View Post
Hey everyone,

So I built a tiki bar a few months back and set up my own kegerator. I bought a two-product regulator from BeverageFactory and had problems with CO2 leakage pretty constantly. I'd get through one quarter keg and I'd have an empty tank. At first I thought it was because it was in the kegerator and was losing pressure because of the cold temperatures (high school science was worth something). I then kept the CO2 tank outside of the kegerator and had the same problem.

I sprayed every connection with soapy water and found a leak, tightened the $#!t out of it and the gas leak stopped. I checked a few hours later and the leak was back, so I tightened it again and didn't have any problems with it the rest of the night.

Just attached a new keg and the PSI rises uncontrollably until it maxes out and the relief valve pops. I've messed with the pressure adjuster knob (no idea what its actually called) to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
Put some thread tape on the threads to the tank.
Change hose from tank to keg.


__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 13,288
Liked 1792 Times on 1425 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Put some thread tape on the threads to the tank.
That's a flare connector that uses a gasket to seal. No tape required - or desired.

Quote:
Change hose from tank to keg.
What?

Cheers!
day_trippr is offline
zachattack Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,784
Liked 4713 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 3972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
That's a flare connector that uses a gasket to seal. No tape required - or desired.



What?

Cheers!
Heh, I must have read every other word in the OP, sorry. What the heck was I thinking?

OP, get a new regulator. I'd be very uncomfortable with the PSI rising like that.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Malichaidog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingman, Az
Posts: 84
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

you ever figure out a solution? I have the exact same regulator and had a problem with the first one, but beverage factory replaced it. Now, my second one is doing the exact same thing! I am extremely frustrated.
Malichaidog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,915
Liked 243 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Default

You guys know their is a washer or O-ring; reg to tank. My old reg had a washer and my new taprite has an O-ring. And the reason I had to get the new reg was the old one pressure started running away.


mikescooling is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uncontrollable fermenting temps. BlackJaqueJanaviac Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-03-2011 01:08 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS