Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Cooler as BK
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For less 100 bucks or less, you can get aluminum kettles at the restaurant supply houses every day of the week. I have a 30 gallon BK that hit my door for around 120 bucks. Don't waste your time with something that will cost more and never work. Here's a 35 gallon pot that I found in less than 30 seconds for $140. There are much better deals out there as well.

Primary:Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Reason: Add link
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have warped my mashtun pretty bad due to preheating with boiling water like a tard, its a 10 gallon home depot cooler.

But you can use a plastic bucket as seen here.

Denny Conn - “The best beer possible with the least effort possible while having the most fun possible!”

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 66 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I don't have that brand of cooler. But here is my $0.02, based on the following information from

"Hard-side coolers: The exterior body of most Igloo hard-side coolers is made of high-density polyethylene, while the interior liner is made of FDA-grade polypropylene. The insulation is made of Ultratherm™ - a proprietary blend of polyurethane foam."

Polypropylene is good to 160 oC and is what my electric kettle is made of, the one that I bought from the hardware shop to boil water for tea.

HDPE is good to 130 oC. I have a 60 litre HDPE barrel that I have used to cook grain by steam injection at 95-100 oC for 2-3 hours with no ill effects. It is supposed to soften slightly at this temperature range but I have not noticed any warping or other problems.

The temperature range of polyurethane foam depends on its application (it is commonly used as a fire retardant) but it is good to 250 oF (120 oC) according to

I suspect some of the problems people are reporting come from having used coolers with polystyrene insulation which melts at 100 oC.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #14

Thanks for the information and details. I'm still looking for the immersion heaters first, I can't find a Camco supplier here at Mexico, any thought?