Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Beer yeast with cider

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
jackfrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedibens View Post

I just started some cider with a Belgian ale yeast. My last batch was with a champagne yeast and I think it just went super dry. I did not take OG readings. I think I should have. My first batch was with wild yeast and it turned out great. Hence I did not bother with the OG reading the last two rounds. Wishing I had.

Can you just take readings periodically and cold crash at a specific number to ensure a less dry cider? Does that kill remaining yeast. Or perhaps add something to kill them off.

Will the Belgium yeast peak at a specific abv which could leave me with some sweetness
You sure can...I usually use a notty. Ale yeast for cider thot I'd do a d47. I like to cold crash around 1.020 to 1.010 if I catch it at 1.020 I dnt prime just bottle.and pasteurize. ( when its carbed of coarse) if I miss it I prime then bottle and past. ... I get around 5.5 to 6.5 abv....but I dnt have age as long as the higher abv guys do.