Cannot cold crash 3 days prior bottling.. use gelatin ? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cannot cold crash 3 days prior bottling.. use gelatin ?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
beauvafr
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 499
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts



My IPA is sitting in the secondary carboy right now with about 2.5 oz of hops in pellets in a muslim bag floating near the top, and I think it will be ready for bottling in about 2-3 days (according to the taste I got from the sample I took today).

I don't have a fridge to cold crash, but i'd like to get the clearer beer possible. I was thinking of using gelatin.

When to add it and how?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheBeerist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Seattle, WA
Posts: 256
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Bon soir! I loved Quebec City when I visited. Beautiful city, plus I went to a really nice strip club too haha

I know this is a rather inexact science, but I know that your weather has you right around freezing temperatures. Would it be too much to move your carboy outside for an hour or two prior to bottling?

I haven't used fining agents, so I'll let someone else chime in about that.



beauvafr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
beauvafr
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 499
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


@TheBeerist I can certainly move it outside on Sunday. Weather forecast is indicating between 2 to -4 celcius. But I dont think I can let the carboy sit outside for the night because it will freeze (-4 celsius).

I think the longest period I could coldcrash outside would be about 8 consecutive hours during the day, when the weather will be around 2 to 0 celcius.

Will it really help? What do you guys think?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
beauvafr
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 499
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


@TheBeerist Strip clubs in Quebec city??? What ? Never heard of it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
StoutMeister
Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
StoutMeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Denver Co
Posts: 113
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


0.5 tsp per 5gal of beer for the gelatin.

let it soak in about 1\8 cup of water for 60 min

add hot water to disolve after the 60 min about 1/4 to 1/2 cup

works best to do this right after you transfer to secondary

4-5 days and it will be very clear

rack to bucket and bottle as normal
__________________
Just one more thing..........do you have any good beer here??... That Place Brewery

Primary #1 ESB AG
Primary #2 Empty
Primary #3 Empty
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Keg #1 Sky's Bier (rootbeer)
In Bottles : Need It Now Pale Ale, unnamed Russian Imperial stout, and Dragon Jewels black IPA

Reason: correction

beauvafr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
beauvafr
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 499
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutMeister View Post
0.5 tsp per 5gal of beer for the gelatin.

let it soak in about 1\8 cup of water for 60 min

add hot water to disolve after the 60 min about 1/4 to 1/2 cup

works best to do this right after you transfer to secondary

4-5 days and it will be very clear

rack to bucket and bottle as normal
I only have 2 days left.. Still ok / worth it ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
StoutMeister
Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
StoutMeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Denver Co
Posts: 113
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


ido not know if 2 days is long enough. will waiting 4 days matter that much ? if you want super clear beer i would stir it in let it sit 4 days then rack and bottle, but thats just me and i dont always do things the "right" way
__________________
Just one more thing..........do you have any good beer here??... That Place Brewery

Primary #1 ESB AG
Primary #2 Empty
Primary #3 Empty
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Keg #1 Sky's Bier (rootbeer)
In Bottles : Need It Now Pale Ale, unnamed Russian Imperial stout, and Dragon Jewels black IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
highgravitybacon
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 922
Liked 216 Times on 152 Posts


The gelatin requires time and cold. The beer should be cool or cold when you add the gelatin and remain as cold as possible to expedite the process. 31F is a good temp.

I did some cider this way and it worked well.

beauvafr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
beauvafr
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 499
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Ok thanks all for the advices and tips.

Since I don't have much time left, today I will drop down the temperature in my basement where the carboy is located. In the evening I will remove the dry hops bag from carboy and put gelatin.

Tomorrow I will cold crash outside all day long and.. bottle in the evening! Voilą.

What do you think?

Will there be gelatin in the bottles interfering with the yeast/carbonation?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
highgravitybacon
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 922
Liked 216 Times on 152 Posts


I don't understand the arbitrary time frame. You will need at least a week to bottle carbonate. Then you will need to bottle condition for a time too.

So yes, you might get it to work in a 2 day period, but what is two days vs. 3 days when you have at least a few weeks more to wait?



beauvafr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
from cold crash to bottling days delay seriousbeef Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 10-28-2012 11:25 PM
Gelatin and Cold Crash komomos Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-05-2012 05:22 PM
Cold Crash / Gelatin Literhoser General Techniques 6 12-31-2010 04:13 AM
Cold crash to gelatin? WisDevilDog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 32 11-21-2010 10:35 PM
Cold Crash prior to kegging jldc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-21-2009 06:13 PM


Forum Jump