Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Bad News Brewery - Control Panel
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,245
Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

P-J,
Awesome - thanks. I printed it out and whited out the two lines you deleted but this is much cleaner. The only thing I need to fix - I purchased a momentary switch for the SYL-2352 matching the other two momentaries, but realize now the 2352 doesn't have a reset like the 2451 so I'm going to have to use a latching switch for that one.

I think you have all the switches I'm using. From bottom to top of the panel in Post 16 - Two red (elements for HLT / BK), two blue (Pump 1 / 2). Then 3 red momentaries (resets for PIDs). The two green ones are lights to indicate element on / off. Then 3 alarm buzzers above the PIDs. Lasty, a mushroom EPO and a keyed on/off.

Thanks again! If I can find some time tonight I'm goign to start wiring the back panel.
-Kevin


BadNewsBrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,335
Liked 293 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

You "whited out the 2 lines I deleted"? I don't understand. Which lines?

I changed the light color of the element indicators to green.
Just refresh the posts and the changes will show.

Anything else I need to change or add?

P-J


Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
P-J,
Awesome - thanks. I printed it out and whited out the two lines you deleted but this is much cleaner. The only thing I need to fix - I purchased a momentary switch for the SYL-2352 matching the other two momentaries, but realize now the 2352 doesn't have a reset like the 2451 so I'm going to have to use a latching switch for that one.

I think you have all the switches I'm using. From bottom to top of the panel in Post 16 - Two red (elements for HLT / BK), two blue (Pump 1 / 2). Then 3 red momentaries (resets for PIDs). The two green ones are lights to indicate element on / off. Then 3 alarm buzzers above the PIDs. Lasty, a mushroom EPO and a keyed on/off.

Thanks again! If I can find some time tonight I'm goign to start wiring the back panel.
-Kevin


P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,245
Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

The lines I whited out on the original print out were the ones running to the main on/off switch for the LED power. Not having an illuminated switch it was a quick fix bit your redone diagram took care of it.

Here's more of a question than a request for change - I purchased two single-pole breakers in addition to the two double-poles. Any advantage to splitting the 120v loads in the panel to both legs or is the demand so low that keeping everything on one leg doesn't cause any issue? I'm assuming the latter as that's how everyone else does it, just figured it was worth the discussion given that I have the fourth breaker.
-Kevin
__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen
2gal Mead

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Irish Red
Keg 3: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: 1gal Joe's Ancient Orange Mead & 1gal Traditional Mead
BadNewsBrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,335
Liked 293 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

Installing the breaker would balance the 120V load across the 240V feed. You have the breaker already so you could do that. I do not think there is any problem running the system as shown as there is adaquate power being supplied for the system as is. Installing it just becomes more work for you.

P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
The lines I whited out on the original print out were the ones running to the main on/off switch for the LED power. Not having an illuminated switch it was a quick fix bit your redone diagram took care of it.

Here's more of a question than a request for change - I purchased two single-pole breakers in addition to the two double-poles. Any advantage to splitting the 120v loads in the panel to both legs or is the demand so low that keeping everything on one leg doesn't cause any issue? I'm assuming the latter as that's how everyone else does it, just figured it was worth the discussion given that I have the fourth breaker.
-Kevin
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,245
Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Pretty much what I was thinking - extra work for minimal gain. If we were running larger 120v loads I could see it...
__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen
2gal Mead

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Irish Red
Keg 3: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: 1gal Joe's Ancient Orange Mead & 1gal Traditional Mead
BadNewsBrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,335
Liked 293 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

Please update this thread as you progress in your build. This is the place where you pose questions and seek answers. It is also the place where you post your outstanding cheers of success. (Hey, I'm subscribe to this thread and I 'wanna know. Ok?)

Wishing you great success.

P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking - extra work for minimal gain. If we were running larger 120v loads I could see it...
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #27
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,245
Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Come hell or high water, I will get results and post them. Success is in the eye of the beholder so time will tell!!
__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen
2gal Mead

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Irish Red
Keg 3: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: 1gal Joe's Ancient Orange Mead & 1gal Traditional Mead
BadNewsBrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,335
Liked 293 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
Come hell or high water, I will get results and post them. Success is in the eye of the beholder so time will tell!!
Hey: If I can help you in your adventure in any way, Please let me know.

P-J
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,245
Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Panel is complete pending delivery of the faceplate. Now to move on to fitting the internals and wiring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121123_064543.png
Views:	995
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	85197  
__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen
2gal Mead

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Irish Red
Keg 3: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: 1gal Joe's Ancient Orange Mead & 1gal Traditional Mead
BadNewsBrewery is offline
skepace Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #30
Smiling-Poodle-Brewery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 13
Default

I have a question on the 3 pole contactor. It looks like the schematic shows only the 2 hots being controlled and the key switch is wired into the third pole. Am I interpreting it correctly? Or is the key switch wired into the control coil?


Smiling-Poodle-Brewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Electric brewery control panel parts John12871 For Sale 5 08-26-2012 08:14 PM
For Sale - Really cheap electric brewery control panel for those in OZ CS223 For Sale 0 06-04-2012 01:23 AM
UL 489 vs 1077 breakers for electric brewery control panel? Mb2658 Electric Brewing 3 02-29-2012 04:42 AM
Brewery Control Panel Which one would you buy Cold_Steel Equipment/Sanitation 12 05-09-2009 02:11 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS