Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Schedules & Sytyles

Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
rkbarnes82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash Schedules & Sytyles

I understand that a higher mash temp will give me a more full bodied less fermentable wort and that a lower mash temp will give me a drier more fermentable wort.

My questions is what differences will I see between holding a 152 (avg temp) infustion mash for 60 min(with a mash out) and a step mash with a rests in the beta range(145) at 30min, the alpha range(156) at 30min, and a mash out(170)?

Assume I am using modified malts with the correct PH and have the ability to direct fire the mash tun.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Not a huge difference honestly. If you're mashing for a full hour in a mid-range temperature (152-153), you're actually going to get a very fermentable wort (I'll see if I can find the data on this) because both enzymes are fairly active in there and 60m is actually a very long time to mash. It helps to understand at a basic level what each enzyme is doing physically to starch molecules and why they work together in that way.

With well-modified malts, single-infusion is really the way to go. A decoction will give you some nice melanoidin formation and caramelization, but the actual step mash part of that isn't particularly important, in my opinion. Many, many people will disagree, though. Old traditions die hard.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com
Denny Likes This