All Grain - Aeration - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain - Aeration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #21
dbrewski
 
dbrewski's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Indeterminate
Posts: 1,011
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts


I have heard, and it makes sense, that in order to keep those aeration stones clean you need to turn on the O2 before you put it into the wort, that way the pressure keeps the wort from working into the pores. If it gets in there and gets caked up you might have it pop off as one poster states, or infections, or just plain clogged. I just got mine, I have not used it so I am just passing along what I heard.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #22
theveganbrewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,929
Liked 296 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski
I have heard, and it makes sense, that in order to keep those aeration stones clean you need to turn on the O2 before you put it into the wort, that way the pressure keeps the wort from working into the pores. If it gets in there and gets caked up you might have it pop off as one poster states, or infections, or just plain clogged. I just got mine, I have not used it so I am just passing along what I heard.

That's correct. I boil mine for a few minutes then it sits in starsan. I turn on the gas and once I see bubbles I put it in the worth, aerate, then back in a bit of water and then starsan for a few seconds before I kill the gas. Sounds like a lot of wasted o2 but I'm on my 10th batch OJ same tank.
__________________
-Retired Homebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
theveganbrewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,929
Liked 296 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Based on results, it's equally effective. If it wasn't I would have stopped using it yeats ago.
Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
__________________
-Retired Homebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
45_70sharps
 
45_70sharps's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Posts: 1,807
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer

Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
Very true.

I would guess that the reason people say they get just as good of results is the oxygen is needed early on for reproduction.
Depending on the OG of the wort and the amount of yeast pitched, the importance of optimal reproduction can vary.
__________________
Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
theveganbrewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,929
Liked 296 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
Very true.

I would guess that the reason people say they get just as good of results is the oxygen is needed early on for reproduction.
Depending on the OG of the wort and the amount of yeast pitched, the importance of optimal reproduction can vary.
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
__________________
-Retired Homebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
45_70sharps
 
45_70sharps's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Posts: 1,807
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
I like to brew big beers also.
I've got a virgin O2 system that I hope to break in this weekend.
__________________
Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,864
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
Personally, I seldom measure my beer...I drink it. My results using the MixStir are every bit as good as friends who use O2. What else matters?
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,864
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
Same here. Again, if the MixStir didn't give me excellent results, I would have switched to something else several hundred batches back.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
dbrewski
 
dbrewski's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Indeterminate
Posts: 1,011
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Personally, I seldom measure my beer...I drink it. My results using the MixStir are every bit as good as friends who use O2. What else matters?
when you say MixStir is it one of those paint mixers that attach to a drill? When do you oxygenate with it...in the kettle, or the bucket?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,864
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
when you say MixStir is it one of those paint mixers that attach to a drill? When do you oxygenate with it...in the kettle, or the bucket?
Yeah, pretty much like that. I use it once the wort is in the fermenter, but you could also use it in the kettle once it's cooled.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First All Grain Batch, Found a Good Aeration Method eaglewwit All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-30-2010 12:54 AM
No foam from all-grain aeration. viking999 General Techniques 9 05-21-2009 11:36 AM
Grain Steeping & Wort Aeration Q's KDM Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-30-2009 12:30 AM
Aeration of first All grain jaymack All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 04-25-2008 03:08 AM
Aeration Chris_Dog DIY Projects 4 06-11-2007 10:24 PM


Forum Jump