Honey instead of sugar??? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Honey instead of sugar???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
midd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 16


As anyone ever tried honey instead of granulated sugar for carbonation!?
I thought it might give a different taste?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
meadmazer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deweyville, Utah
Posts: 170
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I put honey in everything. It is a sugar so it will do the job, not usually enough in a priming solution to taste it though.
It mostly ferments out, leaving very little actual honey flavor. Honey is its own animal so the same amount of a different honey, or even the next batch of honey from the same hive, can ferment out different amounts of sugars and taste different.
It works fine for bottling, give it a try. Use a bit more than you would for granulated sugar, due to the weight of water in honey.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
somedudefromguam
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Albany, Oregon
Posts: 149
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts


I did this a couple years ago. Didn't give a definite honey flavor, but it gave the IPA I brewed a little more complexity... I bottled 5 gallons of the same brew with plain sugar... Just add an extra 10% honey by weight. I use 5 ounces sugar to prime, but I use 5.5 ounces honey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Look at the 'Similar Threads' listing at the bottom of the page. Also, this has been discussed (almost to death) already even recently. Try using the search feature before posting up a question next time..
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
midd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Look at the 'Similar Threads' listing at the bottom of the page. Also, this has been discussed (almost to death) already even recently. Try using the search feature before posting up a question next time..
Thanks for your advise golddiggie, but I like to start a thread for my own questions so I can reply to any advise directly so that I can ask additional questions that may be relevant for my advantage. . That way they know who I am and what I'm talking about etc etc ;-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
midd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 16

By the way, thanks guys. Appreciate your time and it's great advise as always.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by midd View Post
Thanks for your advise golddiggie, but I like to start a thread for my own questions so I can reply to any advise directly so that I can ask additional questions that may be relevant for my advantage. . That way they know who I am and what I'm talking about etc etc ;-)
You CAN add posts to other threads and you'll be notified when someone answers... BUT, this has already been covered in many threads. Adding another for your reasons is [IMO] invalid.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Calichusetts
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Posts: 3,007
Liked 495 Times on 297 Posts


Agreed...there are some many threads on here on honey, maybe we need a sticky on one of them or something. I only use honey and love the results.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
midd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

You CAN add posts to other threads and you'll be notified when someone answers... BUT, this has already been covered in many threads. Adding another for your reasons is [IMO] invalid.
Really Dosent matter golddiggie. If it bores you then don't bother replying mate. There are plenty
That really don't mind giving advise time and time over.. And I enjoy the converse as do they. :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
midd
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts
Agreed...there are some many threads on here on honey, maybe we need a sticky on one of them or something. I only use honey and love the results.
Do you add more than the recommended granulated sugar mate? Thanks for your reply!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sugar v.s honey ritchie Extract Brewing 5 08-24-2012 09:43 PM
Using honey or brown sugar as a priming sugar jarrodaden Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 06-20-2012 02:39 PM
How much sugar/honey popecrisco Cider Forum 3 04-15-2011 08:27 PM
Sugar, Honey, Brown Sugar... The taste test. Brewin_CRAZY Cider Forum 26 11-16-2010 05:46 AM
sugar to honey BigErn Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 05-02-2010 09:49 PM


Forum Jump