How to (did you) upgrade your keg system? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to (did you) upgrade your keg system?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,803
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts



So I am looking for Santa to upgrade my kegging system, but I am not sure how best to approach it. Probably have $200-$250 for the upgrade.

Current Setup: A little over a year ago I purchased a 2 keg system with dual regulator (see kegconnections 2keg picnip setup with dual regulator) so I could have two different serving pressures. I use 2 picnic taps. I now have 4 kegs, and when they are all full and in the fridge, which they currently are I just disconnect liquid and gas hoses when I want one of the beers not on line (getting tired of it and im lazy). So far having the two serving pressures has worked out well. I don't brew wits (or other high Co2 volume beers) very often, and the last time I did, I force carbed for a party and kicked it in a weekend. So I generally have one setup for 2.5 volumes and the other for around 2.

Future Wants: 4 Gas connections, some faucets coming out the front of the fridge

The question I have is how should I approach the upgrade with my existing parts. The gas lines coming off of the 2 regulators are secured to a barbed shutoff valve with an oetiker clamp and are 4' feet long. A little long to connect a manifold or splitter - guess I could cut it and attach a swivel nut to the two ends. Also, what are your thoughts on getting two wye splitters vs getting a 3-way manifold - guess it depends on how flexible i need with serving pressures... Another thing - I fit all 4 pin lock kegs and the CO2 tank in the fridge, I want to be able to easily access all the lines/

I also want to get some perlick faucet setups, but not sure how many i should get/the budget can afford. It would be awesome to have 4, but that would blow the budget in and of itself

Ok, so if you didn't feel like reading all of the above, how did you upgrade your system. What would you do differently if you could redo it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Billybrewer09
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Chester, IL
Posts: 437
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts


I have a 4 tap system. I went with a 4 way manifold and 4 perlick taps on my keezer build. I dont care about different serving pressures. So it was an easy decision for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,548
Liked 1029 Times on 699 Posts


The best upgrade I made was getting four taps. I used to use the picnic taps inside the fridge. I bought a 5-port manifold (I use the extra for purging/ect). It would not be difficult to rig up a manifold with some plumbing fittings and soldering if you want to save a few coins there. I'd get the taps...the rest will then fall into place.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
DanH
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 1,026
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts


I cut the gas line and tee'd it to two swivel nuts/QDs. I just had to buy the T, a few feet if gas tubing, and some hose clamps. I also bought two 2packs of faucets on amazon for $60 per pair (because I didn't have the budget for Perlicks). Everything works awesomely.

So my way isn't fancy, nor is it trashy, but total cost is probably $160.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,803
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybrewer09 View Post
I have a 4 tap system. I went with a 4 way manifold and 4 perlick taps on my keezer build. I dont care about different serving pressures. So it was an easy decision for me.
Yes, unfortunately I LOVE having some flexibility. I wish my mind would not care

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
The best upgrade I made was getting four taps. I used to use the picnic taps inside the fridge. I bought a 5-port manifold (I use the extra for purging/ect). It would not be difficult to rig up a manifold with some plumbing fittings and soldering if you want to save a few coins there. I'd get the taps...the rest will then fall into place.
I don't have soldering stuff, so purchasing it would negate the costs for this project. If i buy 4 taps then i would just HAVE to make the gas work ...the wife will understand right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I cut the gas line and tee'd it to two swivel nuts/QDs. I just had to buy the T, a few feet if gas tubing, and some hose clamps. I also bought two 2packs of faucets on amazon for $60 per pair (because I didn't have the budget for Perlicks). Everything works awesomely.

So my way isn't fancy, nor is it trashy, but total cost is probably $160.
Ya, I am not pulling pints everyday, more like once a week (per tap) so I def need to invest in the perlicks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Dr. Francois
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Okemos, MI, Michigan
Posts: 614
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Yes, unfortunately I LOVE having some flexibility. I wish my mind would not care


I don't have soldering stuff, so purchasing it would negate the costs for this project. If i buy 4 taps then i would just HAVE to make the gas work ...the wife will understand right?


Ya, I am not pulling pints everyday, more like once a week (per tap) so I def need to invest in the perlicks
I agree: go Perlick.

I've had great luck with mine.

If you're able to, I'd also get stainless (not chrome) shanks and other components. After 2 years, my shanks are shiny on the outside, brass on the inside. It's not a problem, but I wish I had gone stainless.
__________________
Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,803
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103 View Post
I agree: go Perlick.

I've had great luck with mine.

If you're able to, I'd also get stainless (not chrome) shanks and other components. After 2 years, my shanks are shiny on the outside, brass on the inside. It's not a problem, but I wish I had gone stainless.
Def going Stainless. I think the best price right now is Birdman Brewing selling a whole perlick stainless setup for $60, probably can do 3, but not 4 on the budget

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
redsoxfan1974
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Lonaconing, MD
Posts: 74
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Farmhouse Brewing has the good deal on the Perlick faucets ($33.99). You still have to buy the shanks but they are only around $18 each.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,803
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan1974 View Post
Farmhouse Brewing has the good deal on the Perlick faucets ($33.99). You still have to buy the shanks but they are only around $18 each.
Roughly the same cost once you add up the tailpiece assembly, shank and tap handle. I was planning on buying some hops from them however, so maybe I will make the purchase entirely from them...

Leaning towards getting 2 wye splitters with check valves to upgrade the gas capacity. I appreciate the input...keep it coming

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
63belair's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Boston, MA
Posts: 517
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts


Go stainless perlicks & faucets. If you can't afford all 4 at once, get 2 2 way manifolds. Leave 2 kegs on picnics, other 2 can be on tap.

4 kegs 2 serving pressures, 2 faucets, room for future expansion.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's time to upgrade to a 20 gal. brew system. whitelaw Equipment/Sanitation 8 03-14-2012 09:41 PM
Would like to upgrade to a 2 tap system need some help. hanly2 Equipment/Sanitation 7 01-01-2012 11:34 PM
Closed System Wort Cooling (keggle upgrade) PICS The Pol Equipment/Sanitation 11 03-08-2010 10:53 PM
will pot upgrade require burner upgrade? ChrisS Equipment/Sanitation 3 04-02-2008 02:29 AM
New control system upgrade from manual operation kladue Brew Stands 11 02-25-2007 06:25 PM


Forum Jump