Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Equipment Question!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
dmbshen41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm wanting to start all grain brewing I have the pretty standard extract brewing kit and wort chiller. I am going to make 15 gallon u here soon. My question is, what other equipment will I need to start all grain brewing and how much will cost me, because by the looks of things you can save a decent amount of Money not buying lme or dme

Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Whattawort
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

A kettle that can handle a 15gal full boil is probably going to be your highest cost I would think. I only do 5gal full boils, so I'm not going to speak for more volume to that. After it was said and done though, I probably spend around $100-150 on all of my upgrades to all grain. Worth every penny.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1153 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbshen41 View Post
My question is, what other equipment will I need to start all grain brewing and how much will cost me
It depends. If you do Brew-In-A-Bag and have your LHBS mill your grains for you, then you likely already have everything you need. If you want to go completely all-grain, then you'll need to obtain/construct a mash tun. This can be done fairly cheaply (< $100). If you really want to maximize your savings, you'll need to buy your grains in bulk and mill them yourself. This has a little more startup cost (you'll need an airtight storage system for large amounts of grain, plus a decent grainmill), but will go a long way in reducing your cost per batch. If your stove can't boil a full batch, you'll need an outdoor burner and some propane.

If you want to get into using better (read: liquid) yeasts, then you'll eventually need a way to do yeast starters (Erlenmeyer flask?), and possibly a stir plate and stir bar. If you want to reduce your costs still further, you can look into washing and re-using your yeast, which has minimal extra cost (just a couple jars and some fridge space).

To save money on hops, you can again buy in bulk. However, you'd need a way to keep them fresh, so you'd likely need a food-grade vacuum sealing system.

If you want to control your fermentation temperatures, then you'll need a little freezer/fridge and temperature controller.

It really all depends on how far you want to take this. I went from 0 to kegging all-grain batches over the span of about 2 months, and I've spent close to $2,000 so far.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

There are many variables. brew in a bag? herms? rims? cooler MLT?

15 gallon batches requires some big equipment. Ideally a 30 gallon brew pot, 20 gallon MLT and a 20 gallon HLT You will almost definitely want a pump.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I think the question is. How much do you want to spend going all grain?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
dmbshen41
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I don't think I will be brewing 15 gallon barches probably just 5 gallon I'm lookin for the cheapest way possible!!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Whattawort
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbshen41 View Post
Well I don't think I will be brewing 15 gallon barches probably just 5 gallon I'm lookin for the cheapest way possible!!
10gal brew pot (I have an 8 and I'm on boil-over watch every second of the boil); 10gal Rubbermaid/Igloo cooler; Hardware for cooler conversion; grain mill (I have a corona that I got for $20 that I LOVE). All in all, probably about $100-150 depending on how resourceful you are. I store my bulk grain in a plastic storage shelf/compartment system that was about $30. I have a compartment for bulk grains, a compartment for specialty grains, and a compartment for my mill/scale/assorted hardware. Perhaps the biggest investment is going to be the time it takes on brewdays. If I mill the night before I brew, I can be done in a little over 3hrs (including clean-up). If I have knowledgeable help I can be done a little sooner, but more often than not, I'm brewing solo.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The first post says 15 gallons, and later you say 5. If you are looking to do 5 gallon batches the only thing I would buy would be a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from the hardware store for a couple of bucks. Do a couple of partial boil BIAB batches that way and see where you want to go from there.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

cheapest way is brew in a bag. What size kettle do you have currently?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
I can be done in a little over 3hrs (including clean-up). .
wow your fast. I'm 6-8 hours including clean up. I brew 12 gallon batches but even when I was doing 6 gallons it took almost the same amount of time