Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > 6.5 THOUSAND people online 11-12-12?!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1194 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 2315

I'm actually a bot, programmed to mimic a grumpy old man-brewer. How am I doing?

TxBrew Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I'm actually a bot, programmed to mimic a grumpy old man-brewer. How am I doing?
Eh, I've seen grumpier bots. Not enough yelling at those damn kids going on. Please return to programmer for upgrade.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1993 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 892

Some of those are bots. It would be difficult to determine, but the members online are not.

Are some of those spammers? Sure, but the majority are not.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

For how often HBT comes up on google, I am floored at how often brewers haven't heard of the site. I recommend it almost daily. Most of the brewers around here are too fixed in their ways to give the site a try.

I feel sorry for the professional brewers who AREN'T on this site as well. It seems like such an asset to have people familiar with brewing, but educated in other fields to give specialized input.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Google just about anything and, often times, you'll get a hit to HBT within the top 10. Is that not the work of a bot crawl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird
For how often HBT comes up on google, I am floored at how often brewers haven't heard of the site.
It doesn't come up nearly as much as you think. Google knows you use the site a lot (as it does I) and so it assumes that results on HBT are either more relevant to your queries or just flat out preferred by you.

If you made the same searches on a new computer (I don't think they track IPs for this purpose) with a new (or simply no) user account, HBT will end up further down the list than the top spots you often see it occupying... in many, if not most, cases (depending on the kinds of things you search for), MUCH further down the list, so as to go absolutely unseen and unnoticed by the average user. Just about anything that tends to show up for a search unrelated to beer or homebrew - and even many that ARE - are a result of this.

(BTW... a bot "crawl" is what Google itself does to both index and rank pages, so it could certainly be said to be the work of that )