Pot beer could be next high for some home brewers - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pot beer could be next high for some home brewers

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
wmarkw
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Evans, GA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that having it be legalized within the state, the potential for home brewers to add marijuana to their beer is higher than before, director of American Homebrewers Association David Glass told FoxNews.com.

Glass said marijuana would most likely be used as a replacement for hops, one of the primary flavoring ingredients in beer. Hops are the closest related plants to cannabis, so they would be used in similar ways.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2CE180EVd

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
BrewKnurd

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts

Kinda wish he hadn't said that.

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 453 Times on 291 Posts

these guys would drink it

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts

yeah, that doesn't do much to improve our public image. now folks will start thinking home brewer = pot user.

isn't pot kind of expensive to be using as a dry-hop?

edit: nevermind, they cover the price thing in the article...
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4782 Times on 3225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Kinda wish he hadn't said that.
Why? He was just stating fact.

If anyone could see the value of wasting expensive ingredients like weed in a bad tasting beer, it would be a stoner...

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Gameface

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 483 Times on 280 Posts

Nothing more than a novelty. Hops have been cultivated to taste good in beer. Marijuana has not. The plants might be closely related but show me some MJ with a reasonable amount of alpha acids, or some hops with high levels of THC. They're no where close to interchangeable.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts

so when would be the best time to add marijuana? late in the boil, so they isomerize? (just like you bake pot in brownie for some chemical reason or another...)? or dry-hop?
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

"Glass said marijuana would most likely be used as a replacement for hops, one of the primary flavoring ingredients in beer. Hops are the closest related plants to cannabis, so they would be used in similar ways. "

Nettles are in the same family. People don't use nettles and wouldn't get the same result as hops if they did.

I have no doubt that a few people would try this, and that there are people who would pay for it, but I don't think most home brewers or beer drinkers are interested.
It certainly wouldn't give a similar taste and would cost a lot.
Probably not a good return on their pot either compared to other ways of consuming it.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Gameface

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 483 Times on 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
so when would be the best time to add marijuana? late in the boil, so they isomerize? (just like you bake pot in brownie for some chemical reason or another...)? or dry-hop?
Steep MJ in vodka and add during or after fermentation. The THC will not infuse the wort very well if added to the boil.

Or, save yourself the trouble and smoke, or vaporize, the MJ and drink the beer.

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3677 Times on 3160 Posts

Idk about that. Back in the day,guys used to make pot tea out of the stems. I keep thinking a pressure cooker worked better though. I guess it's like we used to say-if you remember it clearly,you weren't there.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Closed Thread