1st place French Saison SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
don\\'t do it
Batch Size (Gallons)
6 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 minutes
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-20
Tasting Notes
It is a gold medal winner.
French Saison SMaSH
(1st place & diabetic friendly!)

11# bohemian pilsen malt (fully modified)
4 oz of French Aramis hops (1oz @ 60, 15, 7 and 0)
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash @ 148. 151, 168
I used AE (not Beano) in the mash as detailed in this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/diabetic-friendly-beer-trials-ae-disscusion-314858/

Ferment it 72F+ and in hindsight you can skip the 7 and 0 minute additions as this hop is like an 8%AA warrior; REALLY clean with not much else. It may have a slightly citrus flavor to it but hard to tell if it was the yeast strain flavors.

Aged 4 months in bottles.

Why use AE? 3711 is a fantastic strain that will, at least in both of my Saisons, finish at/below or just about 1.00

What did it taste like (besides being award winning)? That is a very low temperature for this strain, it seems like you'd be missing out on desirable esters.

72 is nothing for 3711 my basement keeps a good 67 F year round. The Tank 7 clone I made (search "bucket 7") was 1.002 going in the secondary and actually finished at 1.001. The second time I made it- it got to 0.998 . Damn tasty too!

3711 is an amazing strain that really does dry the beer out but leave a interesting mouthfeel.
Dan

What did it taste like (besides being award winning)? That is a very low temperature for this strain, it seems like you'd be missing out on desirable esters.

To reply properly I am going to be sort of harsh on my beer critique. Also note this is a SMaSH recipe!

The hops were LACK LUSTER. I used 3 oz of the hops and there was NO flavor or aroma. It is a VERY clean bittering hop and brings nothing detectible to the table other than that. This also means that the beer was overly bitter IMO per the BJCP style guidelines.

The bo pils malt was what saved this beer. It added a nice malty backbone to balance the esters that the yeast strain throws. I thought there was plenty of esters in the beer but again, it may have been out of "style".

It was dry. How dry? I honestly do not know. I did not take a FG.

Overall it was a perfect ester profile balanced with malt flavors, crisp and bitter. It was crystal clear. I have 3 bottles left. If I can find my camera and a bit of time I will take some pics to post back.

Why use AE? 3711 is a fantastic strain that will, at least in both of my Saisons, finish at/below or just about 1.00

Yeah, I am curious too.....I had my 'big' saisons both start at 1.078 and they finished at 1.008 and 1.005 respectively with 3711.

Latest posts

Back