-advice strange mash today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
He I made a red ale today with about 20% rye in the recipe. I mashed in and hit my mash temp at 152. The temp quickly dropped to 150 where it stabilized. I added the remainder of the hot water I had ready at that point so but I did not reach the 152-153 I needed. It was cold so the temp dipped fast.

The mash set at this temp for about 20-30 mins.

I then decided to fire up the burner under the mash tun to get the heat going via recirculation) For some idiotic reason I wasnt paying attention but the thermometer skyrocketed to about 170F. I got it cooled down to 155 pretty quickly but I am unsure how bad I screwed my fermentable sugar profile. I am hoping that the fermentables were converted before the mishap. I hit my gravity of 1.070 OG, and had a full conversion via starch test. WL cali ale is the yeast- large starter pitched and activity in 1 hour.....

what can I expect here. thanks

It sounds like you may have achieved mash out via the heating. It just means the enzymes would have stopped working, but you did say you reached full conversion so there shouldn't be a problem.

In hindsight you probably did not need to cool it down after you hit 170

It's like you mashed out early and then went back. You shouldn't worry about tannin extraction if you didn't get much over 170 but I'd be curious if it converted fully by the time you raised the temp and if it did.....hummmmmmm.....would lowering the temp again do anything?

Hmm..... The unintentional experiments that we can learn from.
It will be interesting to see how this comes out.

45_70sharps said:
Hmm..... The unintentional experiments that we can learn from.
It will be interesting to see how this comes out.

It seems like each batch of mine has been born from the unintentioned. No complaints though...

My money is on hitting your target FG. If it's malted rye maybe 1-2% under. Assuming your fermentation is complete.

Yeah I think if you mashed at 150 for 20-30 minutes, then slowly ramped up to 170F....you are probably pretty close to what you were shooting for. Maybe a bit drier, but probably pretty darn close.

so-this beer....if you have been following the thread......began active fermentation at 67 degrees within an hour or two of pitching and has been going since.....really good fermentation.... Now on day three I have high krausen (I hope) blow off in the more full carboy (it si temp controlled via thermowell at 67). This usually happens to me at day one or should I say that high krausen is at hour 24 not 60. The thing is that I have made great beers but the inevitable blow off or blow off tube was needed earlier. The beginning fermentation was not sluggish at all-crazy...I wonder if it was the mash schedule? or is this just how a big beer acts.......and oh yeah the brew in the airlock is great

drinking now and the beer is great-no sweetness in excess....

the body seems to be spot on-...I like it....and considering the alc % is up there-I like it more. thanks and cheers.

Back