Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trying to make a Black Wheat Ale

Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
pistachio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Trying to make a Black Wheat Ale

So I was browsing Northern Brewer and I saw a midnight wheat malt. I was very interested by it. I want to do a BIAB all grain with this malt. I am pretty new to making recipes, and honestly not too familiar with many types of grain..... which is where my recipe formulation suffers. So I'm hoping for a little direction here.

I want to do a 2.5-3 gallon batch as my stove top/small kettle can only boil about 4 gallons at once. How does this grain bill look?

3# six row
3# torrified wheat
.5# Breiss Midnight wheat
.25# British chocolate malt

Also what is Rahr Red Wheat Malt? How is that usually used? Would it be worth adding into this grain bill?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Kolenka
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That's a lot of chocolate malt if you are going for the color.

I could be wrong since I'm relatively unfamiliar as well, but if it doesn't impart much flavor on its own, using so much will leave you with a somewhat lacking flavor in the beer itself. And it might lead to a pretty bitter beer depending on how bitter the chocolate malt is from the roasting.

Seems like you can use a lot less and replace it with some other malts that will still help darken but impart more complex flavors.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
pistachio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah i looked more into these grains. I was totally off! Now im thinking somewhere in the range of

3# six row
3# torrified wheat
.5# Breiss Midnight wheat
.25# British chocolate malt

if i even need the chocolate...