Hot pepper beer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot pepper beer

Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm thinking I will add as a secondary after roasting a pepper

Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
a_hard
Recipes 

Sep 2012
PHX, AZ
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Do you remove the seeds and ribs?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

That is a tough question to answer.
If it were a commercial beer, you would want to just be able to detect the pepper. No more than that or you limit your buyers.
For your own use, that's hard to say without sitting down do a thai dinner with you.

I want to make a pepper beer also so be sure and post your results.
I want a bit of heat, but quite a bit of the flavor from the pepper.
I just had some shock top end of the world wheat beer last night.
It has peppers and spices in it.
You can taste the heat, but it's not strong. I also didn't get a lot of the fresh pepper flavor that I want in a pepper beer.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
metanoia
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hard
Do you remove the seeds and ribs?
The seeds and ribs are where all the spice is, so remove or keep according to taste.

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Liked 90 Times on 75 Posts

Yea its all to taste. If you want alot of spicy flavor in the beer mixed with a little pepper than leave the seeds in. If you want good pepper flavor with a little spice, then roast the peppers remove the seeds and add..
Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok guys....tasted the first bottle of the beer I made....I used quite a bit of pepper in the beer. Followed it up with some hot sauce when I bottled. Came out great!! Nice pepper flavor with a nice kick on the back end!! Happy with this beer!!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #17
Oddball
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia View Post
He said it's a 1 gallon batch, so 1-2 would be overkill based on your experience. 1/2 would get him a little less spice than yours, though 1/4 might be the subtle spice he's looking for.
I did a one gallon batch with three roasted jalapenos in the secondary and it had a major kick. I enjoyed it but it was overkill for most people. I would go with one small roasted jalapeno without the membrane/seeds. I have also always wanted to try using a can of roasted green chili's just because I think it would give a nice flavor/aroma addition without too much heat.

On a similar topic, I recently did a honey black pepper saison that turned out really well. I used one tablespoon of ground black pepper in the boil and it added some nice finishing notes....

Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used a roasted jalapeņo, a roasted Serrano. Added nice flavor but no heat. Then added two dried chili peppers from the garden. Still not enough heat. At bottling I put 1/2 tsp hot sauce in each bottle. Hell of a kick!!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Liked 3424 Times on 2445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneubeck85 View Post
Ok guys....tasted the first bottle of the beer I made....I used quite a bit of pepper in the beer. Followed it up with some hot sauce when I bottled. Came out great!! Nice pepper flavor with a nice kick on the back end!! Happy with this beer!!
How much is "quite a bit of pepper" and how much kick are we talking about? Comparable to what? Eating a raw jalapeno? Hotter? Did you add seeds/ribs?

My problem with this technique, especially for those of us who haven't tried it but want to, is that so much what is "spicy" is subjective. Too much heat for some barely registers for others.

I'm planning up a smoked porter, split in secondary into 5 separate 1 gallon batches, with jalapeno, serrano, habanero, ghost, and then all 4 peppers

I'm thinking of doing a whole pepper in each, roasted, and I'll probably deseed/derib the first three. The ones with ghost I'm going for pure fire.
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bičre de Garde

Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
Hulud
Recipes 

May 2011
Dallas, Georgia
Liked 93 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
How much is "quite a bit of pepper" and how much kick are we talking about? Comparable to what? Eating a raw jalapeno? Hotter? Did you add seeds/ribs?

My problem with this technique, especially for those of us who haven't tried it but want to, is that so much what is "spicy" is subjective. Too much heat for some barely registers for others.

I'm planning up a smoked porter, split in secondary into 5 separate 1 gallon batches, with jalapeno, serrano, habanero, ghost, and then all 4 peppers

I'm thinking of doing a whole pepper in each, roasted, and I'll probably deseed/derib the first three. The ones with ghost I'm going for pure fire.
i did a poblano smoked porter. i cut out the seeds and membrane so there was no heat but there was pepper flavor. i am too worried about not wanting to drink something that makes me feel hot until i find a beer that i can sample first haha