Sanitising Bottles - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanitising Bottles

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
philjohnwilliams
Recipes 

Mar 2010
montreal, Montreal, Quebec
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

After years of using bleach to sanitise my brew equipment, i have finally made the switch to StarSan (wish I had done this years ago). My question relates to sanitising bottles. With bleach, I would sanitise bottles while my beer was in the fermenter, giving them a 1 hour soak in bleach and then draining the bottles and covering them with foil. The bottles would then sit until bottling day, when all I had to do was pull the foil and give them a quick rinse. What I am wondering is can I do the same thing with StarSan? It would make bottling day easier if all my bottles were ready to go and all I had to do was pull the foil and fill and cap. Does anybody do this, and is there any possible problem with StarSan drying in the bottles?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjohnwilliams View Post
After years of using bleach to sanitise my brew equipment, i have finally made the switch to StarSan (wish I had done this years ago). My question relates to sanitising bottles. With bleach, I would sanitise bottles while my beer was in the fermenter, giving them a 1 hour soak in bleach and then draining the bottles and covering them with foil. The bottles would then sit until bottling day, when all I had to do was pull the foil and give them a quick rinse. What I am wondering is can I do the same thing with StarSan? It would make bottling day easier if all my bottles were ready to go and all I had to do was pull the foil and fill and cap. Does anybody do this, and is there any possible problem with StarSan drying in the bottles?
Star San loses its efficacy once it's dry. What I do is fill up a 5 gallon bucket, or the kitchen sink with the mixed solution and dunk all the bottles in. Then take bottles and drain and place them on a bottling tree. Rack the beer and priming solution into the bottling bucket and proceed to bottling. Once all the bottles are filled I cap. It's really a pretty quick and easy deal

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
boscobeans
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts

If your bottles are CLEAN all you have to do on brew day is give each one a spray of Starsan (google vinator) and fill it with beer.
No need to soak bottles in a bucket.

OMO

bosco

Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 526 Times on 399 Posts

Yes, Vinator is the shi-ni-zall.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
philjohnwilliams
Recipes 

Mar 2010
montreal, Montreal, Quebec
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Looks like I'll be picking up a vinator tomorrow. I apreciate the input.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans
If your bottles are CLEAN all you have to do on brew day is give each one a spray of Starsan (google vinator) and fill it with beer.
No need to soak bottles in a bucket.

OMO

bosco
Very true, but since I always have a bucket of Star San mix made up its just easier for me to throw them all in and drain

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010