Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Assuming this RIS is infected, can it be saved?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Assuming this RIS is infected, can it be saved?

I brewed this RIS earlier last month and all went well for a few weeks. I noticed something funky last week while taking a sample, but I thought it was yeast rafts (kinda looked like dried yeast floating on top). When I opened it up to rack to secondary yesterday, I was greeted with this sad sight:

Hard to tell, but it definitely had a film (pellicle?) on top, which I understand to be a sign of infection.

So I'm assuming this is an infection, and probably due to my overeager sampling. If someone wants to convince me otherwise, I'd be happy to hear it.

Anyway, despite my suspicions, I went ahead with my plan and racked into a better bottle for aging on oak chips and bourbon. Before using my cane, I used a sanitized spoon to scoop a good amount of the film off. Then as I transferred, I noticed the nasty white stuff clumped and stuck to the sides of the bucket, and all was clear by the time I got down towards the bottom.

Of course I tried some, and it didn't taste horrible, or have much taste at all, really, which is weird since it was right at the expected FG of 1.020 and should be pretty damn boozy. However, this could all be in my head since I was expecting it to be horrible.

I'm going ahead with my plan to give it a week on the chips and then test, and I'll also check gravity to see if I'm still dropping. So is there any chance this beer is going to be turn out okay? If the gravity stays steady for a week, can I bottle and put them in a safe place?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's fine if it tastes fine. However, the aging might cause more growth of the infection. Cooler temps and Co2 are the best thing for it. Package it as soon as you can.
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!