Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > More Precise Valve?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I have no issue controlling the flow with my ball valves. It doesn't take long to get a feeling for how you should have them in order to get the flow you want.

I wouldn't put the other valve on the chiller inlet, but rather on the outlet. I have a valve assembly on my plate chiller outlet. It has a camlock QD (female) fitting, 90 degree elbow, a pair of 'T' fittings, two ball valves and a 1/2" NPT to 1/4" compression fitting. The two 'T' fittings each go to ball valves (next to each other) so that I can connect one to my recirculation fitting and the other to the fermenting vessel (hose through the opening). The NPT to compression fitting is where I have my thermometer sensor/probe, to get a solid reading once the wort has gone through the chiller. I also have a ball valve on the pump output side, to reduce the flow while the flame is still going. Once the fire is turned off, I can open it up all the way pretty quickly.

I'll take a picture of the chiller attachment setup and post it later.
Please do post a pic. That sounds interesting.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

pics...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You don't need more precise control, you need a faster responding thermometer. The bimetals are slow so you over adjust the valve while you wait for the gauge to respond. Also, when in doubt, over chill it. There's nothing wrong with going 62F into the fermenter and letting it come up through the yeast exothermic reaction.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You don't need more precise control, you need a faster responding thermometer. The bimetals are slow so you over adjust the valve while you wait for the gauge to respond. Also, when in doubt, over chill it. There's nothing wrong with going 62F into the fermenter and letting it come up through the yeast exothermic reaction.
+1 on that... I use sensors (type K) connected to my Fluke 52II that respond more than fast enough. Plus, I don't need to worry about what my viewing angle is (can impact how you see the dial thermometers reading). It also allows me to have the reading without having to hover over the kettle/keggle or plate chiller.

I originally used the RebelSmart on my first plate chiller (dial thermometer on it) but it soon started to morph into what I have today. Hardest part is securing the QD's to what they connect to. Probably more to do with soaking in PBW to clean, rinsing well, and then not using any lube on the gaskets/o-rings. I do find them easier to use if I hit them with a bit of Star San solution first.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
RoadKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You don't need more precise control, you need a faster responding thermometer.
I agree. The reason I use gate valves is to control fly sparges. They're way easier to control than ball valves.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
I agree. The reason I use gate valves is to control fly sparges. They're way easier to control than ball valves.
How fast can you go from wide open to fully closed??

Personally, I have zero issues controlling the flow from the ball valves in my system. I don't fly sparge, so I don't have to worry about that. While I can see a gate valve being useful in that case, I don't see ball valves really being much worse. IF the brewer knows how to control them. You can open it just a hair, or all the way to full open, to control the flow.

IMO/IME, it's really more a matter of learning your system and properly controlling things.

Fermenting
K1: