More Precise Valve? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > More Precise Valve?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts



I use a standard ball valve on the output of my wort chugger pump. This allows me to control the flow from the BK to my plate chiller. By reducing/increasing the flow, I can alter the temperature of the cooled wort going into the fermenter.

Problem is, the ball valve control is too coarse. It is VERY hard to fine tune the temperature, a slight movement of the handle results in a large swing in the output temperature.

Are there reasonably priced valves that have more precise flow control?




 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Mainebrew
 
Mainebrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Minot, Maine, Maine
Posts: 270
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


There are valve but they are not cheap, go to Mcmaster Carr's website and look up needle valves you will want stainless or brass and the right NPT.
__________________
Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
bja
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburgh, Butler
Posts: 2,061
Liked 168 Times on 126 Posts


You can also control the output temp by varying the flow rate of the input cooling water.
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
RoadKing
 
RoadKing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Bayville, N.J.
Posts: 467
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts


For my pumps, I use brass Gate valves from Home Depot. They're not stainless but you get precise control.
(I tried to post a link, but it wouldn't work.)
__________________
DIRTY GARAGE BREWING CO.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


I've had no issue with the stainless 3 piece (full bore) 1/2" ball valves like those found at Bargain Fittings, Brew Hardware, Brewer's Hardware, and other sites. It's smooth enough that you can control it from closed to wide open and anywhere in between. They do have 'stops' at half open, but you just pull the release piece (on the handle) and you can adjust it as you wish. I do that, typically, when I'm draining my mash tun so that the sparge water flow-in rate is matched by the mash wort flow-out rate.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
For my pumps, I use brass Gate valves from Home Depot. They're not stainless but you get precise control.
(I tried to post a link, but it wouldn't work.)
Do they look like the valves in the picture above? Those came from Lowe's, but are probably the same thing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've had no issue with the stainless 3 piece (full bore) 1/2" ball valves like those found at Bargain Fittings, Brew Hardware, Brewer's Hardware, and other sites. It's smooth enough that you can control it from closed to wide open and anywhere in between. They do have 'stops' at half open, but you just pull the release piece (on the handle) and you can adjust it as you wish. I do that, typically, when I'm draining my mash tun so that the sparge water flow-in rate is matched by the mash wort flow-out rate.
So, the three piece SS valves are more precise than the brass valves? I wondered about that.

Another option I dreamed up was two separate valves, one on the pump outlet, and one on the plate chiller inlet. I wonder if the combination of two valves would give better flow control?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
RoadKing
 
RoadKing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Bayville, N.J.
Posts: 467
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts


I still can't get link to work! You can see them on my rig if you click my profile.
Gate valves are way more precise because a ball valve takes 1/4 turn from closed to open, where a gate valve will take several turns.
On the Home Depot site they are the.... Mueller Global 1/2 in. Brass FPT Gate Valve and are $6.77.
__________________
DIRTY GARAGE BREWING CO.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
I still can't get link to work! You can see them on my rig if you click my profile.
Gate valves are way more precise because a ball valve takes 1/4 turn from closed to open, where a gate valve will take several turns.
On the Home Depot site they are the.... Mueller Global 1/2 in. Brass FPT Gate Valve and are $6.77.
No, I'm using the Mueller ball valves. Are gate valves sanitary?

That might be an option.

FYI, I used to work for Mueller. I've probably been in the plant those valves were made in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
So, the three piece SS valves are more precise than the brass valves? I wondered about that.

Another option I dreamed up was two separate valves, one on the pump outlet, and one on the plate chiller inlet. I wonder if the combination of two valves would give better flow control?
I have no issue controlling the flow with my ball valves. It doesn't take long to get a feeling for how you should have them in order to get the flow you want.

I wouldn't put the other valve on the chiller inlet, but rather on the outlet. I have a valve assembly on my plate chiller outlet. It has a camlock QD (female) fitting, 90 degree elbow, a pair of 'T' fittings, two ball valves and a 1/2" NPT to 1/4" compression fitting. The two 'T' fittings each go to ball valves (next to each other) so that I can connect one to my recirculation fitting and the other to the fermenting vessel (hose through the opening). The NPT to compression fitting is where I have my thermometer sensor/probe, to get a solid reading once the wort has gone through the chiller. I also have a ball valve on the pump output side, to reduce the flow while the flame is still going. Once the fire is turned off, I can open it up all the way pretty quickly.

I'll take a picture of the chiller attachment setup and post it later.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How precise does the priming sugar measurement need to be? duck911 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-14-2012 04:04 AM
Precise boiling? freefallfan Extract Brewing 5 02-17-2012 12:13 AM
Opinions On Ball Valve, Gate Valve, Or Globe Valve For March Pumps jcav Brew Stands 13 10-16-2010 03:56 AM
What is a precise definition of closed fermentation? baystatebrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-19-2010 06:19 PM
Precise Carbonation Question brewsterk2 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-17-2010 04:42 AM


Forum Jump