roaster as brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytmann

Reaction score
Im pretty new to brewing beer and was wondering if anyone has ever tried using an electric roaster to steep grains and boil wort? I currently use my electric stove but Im thinking a roaster may control the temperature better especially when steeping grains. Any thoughts?

Roasters don't have very low settings, I have found the oven better for steeping. I have thought about mashing in a roaster using a temp controller to cycle it but I haven't found one large enough....the one I have would work great for 1 gallon experimental batches....which gives me an idea.....:)

I guess, I need to do a trial run to see if my roaster can maintain a lower temp setting.

I'm about to try using a new Hamilton beach 22 qt roaster oven for the boil. Have had very good results using their 42 cup coffee urn for mashing (partial mash, 2.5 gal batch ), by the way. Heats up to mash temp quickly, can use the spigot to easily transfer the wort to the boil pot! The goal for the roaster is to get the wort up from ~150 degrees, to boil in record time. As for lower temp, I think it will do this without a problem. Will post results when I have them!

PS By the way, roaster & coffee urn on Amazon, very affordable!

Back