Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > help with beer GF would like

Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default help with beer GF would like

So i have been trying to get my GF to try different beers....

For years she has stuck with bud light lime and hard iced teas and the such....

I FINALLY found one she likes and will actually buy on her own.... Sam Adams Octoberfest.... which amazes me but I found one she likes..... she comes home this afternoon with a 6 pack of same adams winter lager.... i asked her why she got that and she said they were out of octoberfest..... she says she really likes it but the octoberfest is better....

My question to you is can you provide some suggestions on other beers she would enjoy... she is already talking about getting mix and match 6 packs to find others she would enjoy..... soon i will have her brewing... thanks in advance

Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Copbrew133
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Maybe an Irish red. They have that malty backbone character I find in Oktoberfests. Her breaking away from that awful lime stuff can only be good for you too, lol.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My SWMBO likes Killians Red. I made a nice Red Ale and she thought ok but not great.
She really likes honey amber ales but watch out as the honey ferments away 100%. She really likes making her own little batch of Mr. Beer High Country Canadian Draft. She bottles using 2 sugar tablets and tells all her friends. Works for me - she is having fun!!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Most chicks love Hefeweizens and Belgian Wits, why not give one of those a try.

Rev.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Copbrew133
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Good idea, if she's drinking fruity beers or hard ice teas, maybe a blueberry or raspberry wheat. Better yet have her pick out a kit or recipe of her choice and have her help you brew it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Imperial Chocolate Stout

Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
brewhaw
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 21

YOU ARE IN A DANGER ZONE AND DONT KNOW IT! I got my wife onto different beers. She used to drink Mich ultra pomgranite rasberry and that stuff; however once she made the transition to the good stuff. Its Delerium Tremons, and other $$$ beers! I came home from work and she had a girlfriend over and there was empty SN hoptimum bottle! I asked her next time to get into the homebrews, i got plenty of those! Im just glad she didnt see the Burton Baton in the back of the fridge! All joking aside Belgians and some of the lighter fruity beers seem to treat the ladies right. linenkugles sunset wheat comes to mind(drop a quality slice of orange in it). good luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well if she likes same adams just get a clone recipie, That way you will have a stock of her favorite beed and can buy some craft brews for her to try different styles.
My latest ex loved a friends homebrew cream ale. It had a mid 20s ibu, lactose, and strawberrys and blueberries in the secondary [he called it red white and blue haha]
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 128

It sounds like she likes darker, malty, low-moderately hopped lagers. That's what Sam Adams Oktoberfest is. If you can find it, Ayinger makes some of the best lagers. If she likes SA Oktoberfest, I guarantee she'll love the Ayinger lagers.

Also, the Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager is delicious, if you can find it in PA. They're based out of VA.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

The Sam Adams Oktoberfest this year is probably the first Sam Adams beer I have ever liked. The winter lager tastes like concentrated christmas elf sh!t. Try some different Amber clones. Yooper helped me put together an Amber similar to Bell's and my wife has been drinking it all and she doesn't drink (allergic to alcohol). She always says "let me try a sip" and then steals my entire pint...