Why is it so hard to find a brew partner?? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why is it so hard to find a brew partner??

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I used to invite a friend over to help brew, but it turns out he doesn't ever want to brew himself (he doesn't drink beer) and just seemed to distract me from my process. I am usually scrambling to get things right due to lack of preparation.

His daughter is much easier to brew with. She is interested in the process and how beer can be applied to cooking. She is studying cooking, so understanding the process of brewing is like the process of cooking to a certain degree.

This weekend I'm working out a brew day with another friend from 3.5 hours away. He is slowly getting his AG system together. He doesn't brew much, but is wanting to get back into it. I just have to remember to be prepared well in advance, and not drink too much during.

Most of the time I brew better alone. If I had a knowledgeable partner who would step in and discuss the recipe and could help me remember when things need to be done, instead of helping me forget them, I'd probably love brewing with them more. Until then, I very much enjoy cranking tunes and just getting it done.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
Buy a pump. . . .
Maybe i should.. I can name it, and give it a hat, and it can be my new brew partner. He'll never be late, no talk back! And he'll never drink all my beer. Sounds like a great idea!
Please please please name him Wilson

neosapien Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I brew alone. It's mostly because I only know one person locally (well, not even that local) who brews.
Mostly its because you're stand-offish and introverted . . .

Homercidal Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

When my son is home, I brew with him. Otherwise, if I've planned more than 3 hours ahead of time, I'll put a note on facebook or send a note out to our homebrew clubs google group and invite folks to stop by. They don't really 'help' me brew, they just stop by and shoot the breeze for a little, while occasionally throwing in a handful of hops.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Yeah I enjoyed brewing by myself, even though it was my first time I felt much more relaxed and was able to be focused. Instead of entertaining I was able to clean parts or prepare the next step..

as for having high standards, if expecting someone to show up who bails at the last second is high standards, then guilty as charged. I have no problem spending time and explaining the process to any one who cares to be in my presence. I just wish sometimes I had someone to bounce ideas off of in person instead of someone who looks like deer in headlights.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Krovitz
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Quincy, MA
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts

Someone needs to start a brew partner thread. Depending on how trusting you are of forum lurkers. Ha. I partial mash in a bag, stove top brew but it would be cool to help out an AG brewer. (without getting in the way ) I can't imagine what you could learn in just one brew day with an experienced brewer.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
meadmazer
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Deweyville, Utah
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Lately the ones I brew with are great at paying for stuff, helping clean up, very interested in the process etc. Bought cornys, co2, carboys, bulk DME etc right after thier first brewing lesson a few weeks ago. We got together last week, there was alot going on for them, but they still showed up and we had 5 kettles going between us. Session was a bit rushed tho.
Brewing takes PATIENCE. Plan the whole day, and if you get done early, great. If you plan like a 3 hour window and you "have to be done by then", you are probly gonna have issues.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
TwoDogBrew
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Raleigh, NC
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Just me and my two dogs.. sometime son in-law helps.. drink that is

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
Whattawort
Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

I usually let my friends know when I brew but I never expect them to come. If they do, they do but if they don't, it's no sweat off my yarbles. I actually find it easier to brew solo because I don't have to stop every step of the way to explain what I'm doing. I would love to have a knowledgeable brew partner, but the only one I know lives about 45min away so that's not very feasible. I get to listen to my music and do things my way, so that's all the better to me. BUT if I do get some help, the assistant automatically gets a 6 pack, possibly more if they help with the cleanup as we go.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort
I usually let my friends know when I brew but I never expect them to come. If they do, they do but if they don't, it's no sweat off my yarbles. I actually find it easier to brew solo because I don't have to stop every step of the way to explain what I'm doing. I would love to have a knowledgeable brew partner, but the only one I know lives about 45min away so that's not very feasible. I get to listen to my music and do things my way, so that's all the better to me. BUT if I do get some help, the assistant automatically gets a 6 pack, possibly more if they help with the cleanup as we go.
Yeah I usually hand out a 6 pack and then some. Just glad I get it all for myself this time!!!!