Why is it so hard to find a brew partner?? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why is it so hard to find a brew partner??

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
sudsmcgee

Recipes 

May 2010
Western Chicago Burbs, IL
Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Since day one I have always planned every batch to be made by myself. I pay for everything and plan on doing everything. If I have a helper that's great, but they don't expect more than a few beers or so per batch.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

My first partner and I would do our own batches, give a 6 pack to the helper. Every now and then we'd split the cost on a batch and split up the finished batch. He just isn't a home brewer.. he likes to drink and give away his share. He has dreams of opening a brewery, yet I don't think he could brew a single batch alone.. Speaking of which, I just got done finishing my first batch alone. After I settled down from being screwed over, things started coming together. I'm always the ring leader so going at it alone was actually awesome. I was able to focus on brewing and now entertaining. I mash only dropped 1 degree over the hour (first time I was able to get it that close to what i needed) my runnings came out great, ended up with ~7 gallons in the kettle. I did yoopers 60min clone, so my hop schedule kept me busy. Ended up with 5.5gallons in the carboy. Just a little more than i wanted, my tank died on me in the middle, it took me 3 mins to grab the spare off the grill, so I think the sputtering out of the old tank and transition didn't help with my boiloff.. I think the best part was I finally got a gravity reading I found exceptable. I was shooting for 1.070 can came in at 1.068!! Once again, the closest I've ever got to target. Usually I'm 10 points off. This might have been the best brew day yet, and I get to keep it all! No sharing! Unless I run into a fellow HBTer.. =oP

Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

I enjoy seeing other people's processes and helping others but I like to brew my beers by myself.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
ArcticBear

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Branford, CT
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

i usually brew by myself. i have some friends that brew locally but our schedules never line up as far as a collaboration.

the one time i had a friend brew with me i carted all of my gear from CT to PA to brew with a friend who brews his own from time to time. He picked the recipe, I bought the ingredients (i was reimbursed) he drank the whole time and practically passed out before we had even sparged and i was left to do all the cleaning/prepping/boiling/chilling and separating into 2 buckets. months later he commented how awesome the beer was that "we" brewed, he laughed and finished the sentence by saying "and by "we" i mean, you did everything" so at least it was nice to have the recognition.

My girlfriend tries/wants to help me every time i brew but im crazy about things being cleaned and sanitized so i usually don't entrust that to anyone else.

i find it relaxing to brew solo. I have my laptop/ipad out on the table playing good music and i just don't let anything else going on in the world/my life interrupt it.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
i usually brew by myself. i have some friends that brew locally but our schedules never line up as far as a collaboration.

the one time i had a friend brew with me i carted all of my gear from CT to PA to brew with a friend who brews his own from time to time. He picked the recipe, I bought the ingredients (i was reimbursed) he drank the whole time and practically passed out before we had even sparged and i was left to do all the cleaning/prepping/boiling/chilling and separating into 2 buckets. months later he commented how awesome the beer was that "we" brewed, he laughed and finished the sentence by saying "and by "we" i mean, you did everything" so at least it was nice to have the recognition.

My girlfriend tries/wants to help me every time i brew but im crazy about things being cleaned and sanitized so i usually don't entrust that to anyone else.

i find it relaxing to brew solo. I have my laptop/ipad out on the table playing good music and i just don't let anything else going on in the world/my life interrupt it.
If you ever drive to PA again, I'll brew with you! Promise I won't leave ya hanging!

It'll be more like this
instead of this

By the way.. Here's my baby in primary.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
ArcticBear

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Branford, CT
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

i will definitely let you know. it'll be highly unlikely i'll be trekking down there with my gear again though. being all grain, it was a lot to put in my wagon.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Frige
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Houston, Texas
Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts

Maybe you should get a pool table? LOL just kidding. I had one for a while and there are worst things than brewing alone. I have had helpers but mostly they just sit and watch, drink my beer and comment man this is kinda boring huh?

Or you could get into drag racing. Nothing like spending 40 hours rebuilding the car by yourself just to have your buddies show up at the track and boost about how we worked so hard....

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

I've almost given up on even inviting/offering people to stop by on brewdays.

I brew by myself 99% of the time. I find it more relaxing and less stressful.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3677 Times on 3160 Posts

This thread makes me think of Moe. "Why can't I find amanda hugginkis?"...maybe your standards are too high!
I'm left pretty much alone on brewday since my wife found out she's a type 1 diabetic & can't drink anymore. She's bummed about it this time of year. Now I'm with Thorougood,just me & my good buddy wiser...& we drink alone.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU