Why is it so hard to find a brew partner?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why is it so hard to find a brew partner??

Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Time for mindless ranting.. I'm brewing today and my friend is nearly 3 hours late to help brew. I'll first state that I wouldn't mind brewing by myself, but its always nice to show people how to brew and have someone for the having lifting since i don't have a 3 tier system or pumps.

My first partner was my friend who went in on me with our first set up. We brewed a dozen or so batches together. Every time we brewed I was constantly stuck with doing the set up, and clean up, brew days are always at my house, i foot the cost of the propane, and do a majority of the research and DIY projects. Him and I had a falling out and I feel its for the best.

So one of my other friends has done a mr beer kit or two and was supposed to be here at 9am. It's now 11:30 and I'm still waiting. I could start with out him but I wanted to be able to show him all the steps. I just feel like I'm in the same hole i was with my first partner.

Why is it so hard to find someone who has the same amount of passion about brewing as I do? They sure love to drink the beers when they're done! But nobody wants to put in the leg work.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
chumpsteak

Recipes 

May 2011
Meridian, ID
Liked 96 Times on 79 Posts

Buy a pump.

You may never find anyone with the passion for brewing you have. And that may not be a bad thing.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania

[QUOTE=chumpsteak;4578913]Buy a pump.

You may never find anyone with the passion for brewing you have. And that may not be a bad thing.[/QUOTE

Maybe i should.. I can name it, and give it a hat, and it can be my new brew partner. He'll never be late, no talk back! And he'll never drink all my beer. Sounds like a great idea!

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 529 Times on 402 Posts

See, I'm lucky. Mr friend is here on time and does 90% of the cleaning. I split the brews with him (10 gallon batches), he pays for half the ingredients and the propane. I guess you need to find a friend that wants his own beer supply. Cause, if he don't help....he don't get beer.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
Why is it so hard to find someone who has the same amount of passion about brewing as I do? They sure love to drink the beers when they're done! But nobody wants to put in the leg work.
Looks like you live in Pennsylvania, you should check out the National Home Brewers Conference this year, its in Philly. Your bound to find some like minded home brewers there. (I'll be there, but Im from Los Angeles)

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Omaha, NE
Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

I have the same problem, sort of.... I almost prefer brewing by myself. However, I have had a couple of friends come over and help out and take part in the process. Fortunately, one of them helped out a lot with the cleaning and paying for half the ingredients. Reliability, however, has proven to be an issue....not sure what it is with people these days, but I've noticed that some people don't show up or are excessively late and don't bother to say "hey, I'm running behind" or "hey I can't make it today". As a result, I just brew on schedule and if they miss out on part of the process then so be it.

If there are brewing clubs in the area, you may look into that. You're probably more likely to find people with a passion for homebrewing in a club than you are just asking one of your buddies. I haven't tried this, but it seems logical. Btw...brewing today all by my lonesome...ahhhh the freedom!

Best of luck on your brew day...

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
cheesehed007
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber
Time for mindless ranting.. I'm brewing today and my friend is nearly 3 hours late to help brew. I'll first state that I wouldn't mind brewing by myself, but its always nice to show people how to brew and have someone for the having lifting since i don't have a 3 tier system or pumps.

My first partner was my friend who went in on me with our first set up. We brewed a dozen or so batches together. Every time we brewed I was constantly stuck with doing the set up, and clean up, brew days are always at my house, i foot the cost of the propane, and do a majority of the research and DIY projects. Him and I had a falling out and I feel its for the best.

So one of my other friends has done a mr beer kit or two and was supposed to be here at 9am. It's now 11:30 and I'm still waiting. I could start with out him but I wanted to be able to show him all the steps. I just feel like I'm in the same hole i was with my first partner.

Send him a copy of "The Little Red Hen" hopefully he'll get the hint.. Cheers

Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania

So.. he just texted me about 10 minutes ago to tell me he can't make it now. Somewhat furious, Gave him a good peice of my mind! My brew day would be over by now if I started at 9.. Instead I waited for the prick that never showed! Just pissed cuz it threw my whole day off, brew days are supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing. Now I feel like I wanna punch babies and kick puppies..

None the less I'm forging forward.. First brew day by myself, ever.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 164 Times on 126 Posts

I brew alone...Yeah yeah, with nobody else...

No really I do...I watch football alone and I brew alone..Once in a while a friend will come by, but I start really early.....

Colorowdy Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Krovitz

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Quincy, MA
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts

The first time I brewed with my friend, I bought the ingredients, brought all my equipment to his house, cleaned up by myself, bottled with his wife(!) because he decided to fry chicken the moment I started siphoning into the bottling bucket. After 2 weeks, we split a 6 pack to see if it was ready. By the next week he had given away close to an entire batch. Not drank, given away. I'd almost feel better if he just went on a drinking binge.

Good help is hard to find.