Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any problem with using "Stale" flaked oats?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
bduane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Any problem with using "Stale" flaked oats?

I need another half pound of flaked oats and I have some Quaker oats that have been opened that are just past their best by date... I'm sure these are stale as they've been opened, but will them being a little old/stale have any impact on my beer (FYI i will be toasting them if that makes a difference)...

Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduane View Post
I need another half pound of flaked oats and I have some Quaker oats that have been opened that are just past their best by date... I'm sure these are stale as they've been opened, but will them being a little old/stale have any impact on my beer (FYI i will be toasting them if that makes a difference)...
That's probably going to be your call. I'd be worried about what the stale flavors might impart, or what the oats have absorbed flavor-wise while they've been sitting around. There's an easy way to test though....

Make some plain oatmeal out of them with just hot water and taste. If you taste stale or funky flavor in it, don't use it. If it tastes fine, go ahead and use them.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.