Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 4 year old frozen hop pellets.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
jay29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 4 year old frozen hop pellets.

Toss them or use them? Amarillo

Thx.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
brandonhagen1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 13

if there sealed use them

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

depends what you are using them for, if they smell good, I would certainly use them for late additions. The question mark is their bittering abilities really.

as a reference, I just used some leaf hops from '09 and were not treated well before I got them, meaning they were in a room, in a zip lock for at least a month before I got them ( I had a friend that was a hop farmer that pulled a few pounds from each crop for me and then sent the lump sum) at any rate I was hesitant to use them but I just did recently on a simple pale and man they still have a punch.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Use them. Find a hop aging calculator (BeerSmith has one), and figure out how much they have deteriorated and adjust for that. The calculator is for bittering, but I would adjust a similar amount for flavor and aroma too; the worst that can happen is you get 'too' much hop flavor and/or aroma.

I just checked BeerSmith. Amarillo will lose 15% AAs in 48 months when vacuum sealed and stored at 0 F. I'd probably just use 20% more than normal to account for the aging.

Pellets tend to keep better than leaf too.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

The old smell test is the way to go. I've thrown out hops that were not that old due to improper handling. Just not worth it imho.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
jay29
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is an update. I stopped brewing 4 years ago, for various reasons, and it just so happened I received a big hop order during the hop crisis of 2008. All hops were vacuumed sealed in two ounces and marked with type, date, and AA%. I put all of these and two dried Nottingham Yeast packets with exp. date of August 2007 in a grocery bag and tied that up and placed in the freezer until bitten by the home brew bug again recently.

17.5 oz Amarillo Pellet Hops at 8% AA
14.0 oz Cascade Pellet Hops at 4.9% AA
2.0 oz Magnum Pellet Hops at 14.9% AA
2.0 oz Columbus Pellet Hops at 6.3% AA
2 Nottingham Dried Yeast Packets exp August 2007

Can someone please use Beersmith to get the AA loss?
Is the Nottingham yeast still good?

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Like others have mentioned, how useful they are will also depend on how they were stored. If you had them in a frost-free freezer they've likely been compromised more than if they were in a deep freezer. That said, I made an IPA not long ago with almost all hops leftover from previous brews. They ranged in age from a couple years to a month and all packages had been opened. I did the "smell test" on all of them, some of which didn't pass. The beer turned out great though.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
organ
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Make a barleywine.