Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > does a beer with a high final gravity still need sugar added when bottling?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
rhythmiccycle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default does a beer with a high final gravity still need sugar added when bottling?

I wanted to make a strong batch, so I added a lot of extra sugar to the wart. I started with s.g. of 1.12, but I think it was even more case it was still pretty hot when I measured. After 16 days its at about 1.039. Its time to bottle, but do I still need to add sugar? I think there is still a lot of sugar in there .

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is your gravity stable there? If you are only at 16 days - let it sit at least a week and check again.

A beer that big usually needs lots of conditioning time - 3-6 months or more before it tastes best. So there is no rush to bottle - aging in bulk for a month or two in primary is fine.

It is also possible that you've hit the tolerance of your yeast and it's stuck - you might want to rouse it a bit a consider adding some champagne or high gravity ale yeast.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 586 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 231

A beer with an OG of 1.12 is no where near done after 16 days. You cannot put the yeast on your timeline, it has it's own and will finish when it wants. It needs time to finish and for the yeast to finish. Sugar will ferment out completely so the sugar added to the wort will not be left when you bottle. Give it at least another couple of weeks to finish and then check the gravity again. You want it fully finished and stable before you even think about bottling.

What kind of beer was it? and what yeast did you use? Did you make a starter?

And to answer your question, yes you do need sugar at bottling time.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
aludwig
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That gravity seems high, but it totally depends on your malt bill. You could have a lot of unfermentables in there. I would still add the corn sugar for bottle conditioning.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
hypergolic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you adjust your hops for the extra sugar? But yeah as everyone else said you are going to have to give that beer some time.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Please do not bottle your beer. As was said, the yeast do not care about your time schedule. It's possible they have conked out but we definitely need more info to help you determine what to do. What I can tell you for sure is that if you bottle now you are running an incredible risk of exploding bottles. Wait a week at least, or better yet 2 weeks, and recheck the gravity.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 356

This is one of your first few brews? Big beers (high starting gravity) offer several challenges. One of those challenges is keeping the yeast active as the alcohol content rises.

I'd be interested to see your full recipe and description of your process.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
rhythmiccycle
Recipes 

thanks for the advice.
I didn't adjust the hops. should I have?

i check the gravity every few days and it hasn't really moved in 4 days. I think its stable.

attached is a graph and table of the measurements I took.

the beer is winter ale i used a can of HME, and a bag of LME, then added alot of raspberry syrup and white sugar.

the yeast is Safbrew T-58, bought it cause it said it can handle stronger ABV, it says "Final Gravity: high" on the bag of yeast.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SGchart.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	83334  

Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Post your recipe, process, and fermentation temps. As said before, definitely do not bottle! At the very least, this beer will be way too sweet and won't taste good. You also need to be sure to give the yeast at least a week to clean up after themselves. If you bottle now, you will be disappointed.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Part of the problem is that you've used extract to make a beer so large. It's going to finish higher and be very sweet. I would do a starter with WLP099 and add that, then wait a few more weeks.