Fantome Saison clone, fermentation temp ? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fantome Saison clone, fermentation temp ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Wingfan13
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 342
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts



What do you guys think I should ferment this beer at using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast ? I know this yeast likes to ferment higher. Just wondering where everyone thinks I should be ? 75 ? 80?

I have only brewed with it once and it was a year or two ago. Suggestions ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Malden, MA
Posts: 2,191
Liked 244 Times on 199 Posts


I'm 30 minutes away from pitching yeast for a Saison. Going with 78 degrees for the whole fermentation time. Last time it came out great at that temperature.
__________________
The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Montanaandy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Montana
Posts: 1,013
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
What do you guys think I should ferment this beer at using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast ? I know this yeast likes to ferment higher. Just wondering where everyone thinks I should be ? 75 ? 80?

I have only brewed with it once and it was a year or two ago. Suggestions ?
We ramp up after pitching dial it in at 92'. Hit terminal gravity easily and don't get stuck at the dreaded 1.030 that this yeast is notorious for. We brew Saison/use this yeast on a regular basis and doing it this way never fails. 3724 is a completely different animal than 3711 or 3726, both of which ferment at lower temps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Wingfan13
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 342
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


The best I am going to be able to do is 75 which is what I keep it at in the house. We will see how it turns out but the brew day went well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


What's your malt bill? Are you planning on pitching brett, too? I've read 3725, confusingly labeled 'Biere de Garde', is the Phantome Sacc. strain. ECY03 had has the Phantome brett and a blend of 4 Sacc. strains.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Wingfan13
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 342
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
What's your malt bill? Are you planning on pitching brett, too? I've read 3725, confusingly labeled 'Biere de Garde', is the Phantome Sacc. strain. ECY03 had has the Phantome brett and a blend of 4 Sacc. strains.
I was going back and forth on what I wanted to brew and just couldn't make up my mind. I went into Austin Homebrew and was flipping through their recipes and saw the Fantome clone. I did zero research on it.

I have no idea if this is gong to be close at all but

11 pounds Belgian pale
6 oz aromatic
1.5 pounds white wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Montanaandy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Montana
Posts: 1,013
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
The best I am going to be able to do is 75 which is what I keep it at in the house. We will see how it turns out but the brew day went well.
If you don't have temp control you are better off using 3711 which will give you great results at lower temps. You will be very frustrated with 3724 if the highest temp you can ferment @ is 75'.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Wingfan13
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 342
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I ended up moving it upstairs. It fluctuates between 77 and 80 up there. I do have a fermentation freezer but i don't have a way to keep it that warm in the freezer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


If ambient temp is pushing 80, your fermenter should hit mid 80s. Throw a sleeping bag or some blankets on it to help it stay warm when the fermentation slow down.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Montanaandy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Montana
Posts: 1,013
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
If ambient temp is pushing 80, your fermenter should hit mid 80s. Throw a sleeping bag or some blankets on it to help it stay warm when the fermentation slow down.
If you can get into the mid 80's with blankets that will help quite a bit. You should be able to reach terminal gravity - just be prepared for a 4- 6 week fermentation period.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
? about Fantome Saison sourness lpdb185 Recipes/Ingredients 9 09-14-2015 04:23 PM
Saison fermentation temp Bru Fermentation & Yeast 36 05-16-2013 02:38 AM
Fantome clone question - adding fruit juice Cugel Recipes/Ingredients 7 03-19-2012 02:46 PM
Fantome Saison Brewlicious Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-25-2012 12:59 AM
Saison Dupont clone with WLP566 Saison II yeast: optimal temp? Yeast nutrients? agurkas Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-14-2010 01:49 PM


Forum Jump