Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Battle over the "strange" name

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #191
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
No, its stupidity. Many other breweries have been able to resolve this the easy way, but the store owner doesn't want to do that. Unfortunately for the store owner, there's enough support in CO to help fund Strange Brewing's legal costs.
What's "the easy way"? Please elaborate.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #192
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1168 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
What's "the easy way"? Please elaborate.
Stop being a big old meanie, and just let him use his trademark for free, of course.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #193
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm just glad my name and idea for a brewing company is original. Threw it into google as brewery and brew with quotations and no hits

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #194
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
If the LHBS did in fact protect the name with anticipation of opening a brewery as well they should have a pretty easy case.
I posted this before - but yes, here are their two filings:

IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: Beer. FIRST USE: 19970601. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970601
IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Retail stores featuring beer and wine making supplies. FIRST USE: 19970601. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970601

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...001:z9m5x9.2.2

in '97 they filed for both "beer" and "Retail stores featuring beer and wine making supplies."

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #195
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Can I ask what part of the "Beer" trademark have they used in the past 16 years?
Almost seems like squatting on a trademark if they havent done anything with it... IN 16 YEARS...

The "beer and wine making supplies" trademark I can see. They are a homebrew shop. But the first filing is ridiculous.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #196
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
Can I ask what part of the "Beer" trademark have they used in the past 16 years?
Almost seems like squatting on a trademark if they havent done anything with it... IN 16 YEARS...

The "beer and wine making supplies" trademark I can see. They are a homebrew shop. But the first filing is ridiculous.
You're allowed to squat on something. And you better protect it. There was that company who had the Iphone trademark and they let Apple be until it was too established to actually win a lawsuit, instead of nipping it in the bud. Even if the Iphone device was released in like the late 90s.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #197
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
You're allowed to squat on something. And you better protect it. There was that company who had the Iphone trademark and they let Apple be until it was too established to actually win a lawsuit, instead of nipping it in the bud. Even if the Iphone device was released in like the late 90s.
Not really, not as per my understanding. As per wikipedia:

Quote:
Trademarks rights must be maintained through actual lawful use of the trademark. These rights will cease if a mark is not actively used for a period of time, normally 5 years in most jurisdictions. In the case of a trademark registration, failure to actively use the mark in the lawful course of trade, or to enforce the registration in the event of infringement, may also expose the registration itself to become liable for an application for the removal from the register after a certain period of time on the grounds of "non-use".
I'd argue that since the homebrew shop never used the "beer" aspect of the trademark, their rights ceased about ten years ago.

As I recall, the "iPhone" company was actually using the mark, although it wasn't a product that was especially widely distributed.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #198
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm better versed in Bird Law, but "lawful use" can sure be up for determination. Lawyers and maybe a judge will settle this in the long term, but the moral of the story is, if you have a great idea trademark it, patent it, etc. Whatever you can do to protect your intellectual property do it.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #199
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht_Rupprecht View Post
If I opened a lhbs and named Terrapin Home Brewing I imagine the brewery Terrapin wouldn't be thrilled regardless of whether I cited the Grateful Dead song. Especially if it impacted the business in any way.

Every post in this board with someone asking for advice on opening a brewery is followed by 40 replies on how it's a business, do your due diligence. Strange Brew CO didn't, a simple Google search two years ago would have prevented all of this.

The worst part of all of this is that it isn't even a good name.
A terrapin is an animal. Can't copyright or trademark an organism.

Neither the brewing company or the LHBS in this example used "Terrapin Station" in the name.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #200
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
A terrapin is an animal. Can't copyright or trademark an organism.

Neither the brewing company or the LHBS in this example used "Terrapin Station" in the name.
SO you're saying I can open up a brewery, call it terrapin, or Flying Fish, or anything else that's an Organism and be fine? I don't think that would fly if I went to court. Like I don't think that the Seattle Seahawks can change their name to the Eagles and survive a TM dispute over it. And the Eagles have a trademark on their logo and name for merchandising. I don't think it's as clean cut as "can't trademark and organism"