Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > SMaSH Beer with 100% Local Ingredients

Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Krampus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default SMaSH Beer with 100% Local Ingredients

Howdy,

As part of a blog series on local ingredients I'm going to be attempting a SMaSH beer using local malts and local hops. Does anyone have experience brewing single malt/hop all grain beers? What tricks can the brewer use to enhance the character of a SMaSH beer?

It's going to be a pale ale made with entirely 2 Row Pale Malt and Sterling (or another dual-purpose hop).

Any ideas are appreciated and if anyone has first hand experience please give me your impressions.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Some people will toast some of the malt in their oven, but personally I feel like that's "cheating." The whole point of a SMaSH is for you to learn the ingredients, I think you'll be surprised at how the simplest beers are often the best. My MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA has been hands down my favorite homebrew so far.

Decide what direction you want the beer to go (IPA? Pale Ale? Maybe a lager if you're into that?) and pick an OG and hopping schedule, then just brew it up! I'd suggest a pretty neutral yeast.

Krampus Likes This 
Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Krampus
Recipes 

I agree. My most successful recipes have always been my least fussy ones. I'm planning on making a pale ale with exclusively 2 row barley malted by a local small batch maltster (which I'm very thankful to have found). It would be interesting to experiment with a other beer styles though. I think going with a fairly neutral yeast is a good idea so the malt and hops really shine through.

Mind sharing your MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA recipe? I'd love to take a look.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Sure! I had some help with the hop schedule, check out this thread here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/mo-c...hedule-310897/

I ended up doing heywatchthis suggested in that thread. I had 13 lbs MO to get a 1.060 OG, mashed at 153, used US-05 yeast.

Here's how I hopped:
.5 oz FWH
1 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 10
2 oz @ 0
2 oz dry hop

Columbus is a pretty heavy hitter (13% AA?) but this wasn't overly bitter. It was very hoppy but with all the late hops it was nicely balanced, I had a few people love this that normally hate IPAs. It came out a dark golden color, had plenty of dank, woodsy, citrusy hop flavor, and had a "dry toast" malty finish that I think is the signature of Marris Otter.

I love the idea of using all local ingredients! Too bad you can't use a local yeast.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Krampus
Recipes 

Thanks for sharing! Add a spontaneous fermentation and you might have yourself a 100% regionally specific beer. It's definitely a concept that I'm fascinated by.

Cheers.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
monkeybox
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I love the idea of using all local ingredients! Too bad you can't use a local yeast.
Sure you can! See How to Capture Wild Yeast!
Krampus Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

MO and cascade hops is good for me.