Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Arrogant Double Bastard in 3 L Grolsh

Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Arrogant Double Bastard in 3 L Grolsh

I was at Costco here in Santa Rosa tonight and they have a pretty good supply of Arrogant Double Bastard in a 3 liter bottle. It is corked and sealed shut but has the swing top porcelain top on it. I couldn't believe the price and I don't think I mis read it. $66 What a beauty tho.

So, I get home and I pulled up Stone. The cover picture shows the bottle and when you go to the brews page it shows $26 for the 3 L bottle. I think I'm missing something somewhere.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2720 Times on 2105 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Missing $40 is what you would have been missing. What a gyp!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
HopSong

Recipes 

Don't know what's going on Andrew.. I just checked BevMo online and they are selling the same bottle for $79+CRV. Tried looking for it again on the Stone website.. must be too tired to find it. But, seems I recall 3L was somewheres around $23 or so. Must be in a bomber or something. Maybe it's a special bottle..sheesh.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

$26 is what it costs to fill a 3 liter at Stone. A new one typically costs $75-80, so $66 is actually a pretty good price.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Also, the Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard growlers can only be filled with the beer printed on them per CA law, which kind of sucks. I love those 3 liter bottles, although I don't know if I could get through one before it went flat. No one I know likes those beers.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill
Don't know what's going on Andrew.. I just checked BevMo online and they are selling the same bottle for $79+CRV. Tried looking for it again on the Stone website.. must be too tired to find it. But, seems I recall 3L was somewheres around $23 or so. Must be in a bomber or something. Maybe it's a special bottle..sheesh.
Hey Bill, I just say a huge swingtop arrogant bastard at our local nugget market and it was going for $85 must be the same one.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
HopSong

Recipes 

Isn't that something.. Seems one heck of a price for the fancy bottle. That's $40 for the bottle if I could fill that same bottle for 26.

I'm glad I home brew

Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2720 Times on 2105 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The more I brew the harder time I have spending money on fabulously expensive bottles. I don't like taking risks anymore, I'm not going to buy a pricey bottle unless I know it's world class. I've got 30 gallons of beer bottled, all of it better than most commercial beer. $70 gets me a sack of 2-row and 2 lbs of hops, enough to make 25 gallons of killer beer.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
The more I brew the harder time I have spending money on fabulously expensive bottles. I don't like taking risks anymore, I'm not going to buy a pricey bottle unless I know it's world class. I've got 30 gallons of beer bottled, all of it better than most commercial beer. $70 gets me a sack of 2-row and 2 lbs of hops, enough to make 25 gallons of killer beer.
Right on! When I couldn't find a local establishment willing to help me acquire this year's Bourbon County Stout, I came up with a motto:

Screw it. I'll just brew it!

Oh! Speaking of which. Today's the day I need to draw another sample.

Sixty dollar beers! Feh.

It's the same way I feel about vodka. How is a super-premium vodka that can be pushed out the distiller's door the day it's bottled going for the same price as a bourbon that needs 15+ years of age and barrel maintenance and attention?

If you want me to spend more than $5 dollars on a beer, you'd better be aging it, blending it, and putting some unusual amount of capital at risk or be applying some damned fine creativity, or special know-how into it.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
HopSong

Recipes 

I hear ya.. I don't mind spending $4-5 a pint at one of my local breweries once in a while.. I can't brew Pliny and haven't tried Racer at home yet.. So, it's a treat to do this once in a while. BB is right... you can buy a lot of fixin's for the price of that 3L bottle of DAB. I'd love to have the bottle.. but..... :O