Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Imperial Black Rye IPA recipe advice

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
nicklepickles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quick update, brewed this yesterday, and everything went swimmingly. My volume came out a little low, buy im blaming the rye for causing the mash to be a bit thicker them im used to. Final OG was around 1.084, dry hopping in 2 weeks. Hops smelled amazon going in to the boil, cant wait for this to be ready!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
nberna19
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If anyone hasn't had the pleasure of drinking Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack I highly recommend doing so. It's a Black Rye IPA at around 8.5% ABV and it's rye and citrus hops (Amarillo and Citra) meld wonderfully together. There's a thread where the poster emailed Firestone Walker and one of their brewers responded with recipe help: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fire...ttempt-333436/

Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nberna19
If anyone hasn't had the pleasure of drinking Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack I highly recommend doing so. It's a Black Rye IPA at around 8.5% ABV and it's rye and citrus hops (Amarillo and Citra) meld wonderfully together. There's a thread where the poster emailed Firestone Walker and one of their brewers responded with recipe help: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fire...ttempt-333436/
I am a huge wookey jack fan (and anything from firestone walker) and was shooting for the same basic style. Dry hops go in the fermenter in a week, and ive been thinking of doing multiple rounds of dryhopping, not sure though...

Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
nberna19
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
I am a huge wookey jack fan (and anything from firestone walker) and was shooting for the same basic style. Dry hops go in the fermenter in a week, and ive been thinking of doing multiple rounds of dryhopping, not sure though...
I know from listening to Can You Brew It episodes with Firestone Walker that they do indeed do 2 rounds of dry hopping at 3 days each I believe. I'm sure if you did it that way it would turn out excellent. I agree with you, I've yet to have any FW beer that's less than outstanding

Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Quick update on this. The color didnt come out as id hoped, its more of a 'dark brown' iipa, but thats ok with me. Hydrometer taste was outstanding, a but of malty chocoloatey followed by a huge burst of hoppy goodness, tropical fruit and some good spice, followed by a spiciness that hits the back of the throat a bit. Very exquisite!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Dont know why the color was brown at bottling, but my first taste of this tonight was outstanding, and perfectly black! Good mouthfeel/body, good bit of roastiness, and an amazing floral aroma and taste. One of my best so far! (Out of 12 or so batches)