Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Let's talk outright frickin tragedies

Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had small leak in my kegerator hose and 3 1/2 gallons of one of my best batches leaked out all over the floor of my garage overnight.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2915 Times on 2522 Posts
Likes Given: 2052

That's alcohol abuse! So tragic to see for one so young...

Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 631

I can't say I've had any real tragedies but once, when I had a 'three tier' setup, actually a deck, some chairs, and the ground, I totally goofed. I only had one pot, a cooler mash tun, and collected wort into buckets to transfer back to the pot. I had just doughed in, letting the strike water flow from the pot on the deck to the mash tun, stirred really well, and immediately began to fill the pot back up with sparge water. I was cutting my tap with bottles of distilled water, so it took awhile. Once I put in what I thought was about 7 gallons, I noticed the level didn't look right. It was really low. I forgot to close the valve on the pot! The hose was still running to the mash tun and I accidentally dumped probably 4 gallons of cold water into the mash that just got started.

I didn't have an easy way to heat it back up and the LHBS was actually open on Sunday, so I just went a bought new grains, some more water, and started over.

Everything went well until late that night when I was finally finishing. It was really cold. When I went to chill with my CFC, I found that there was no water flow through my garden hose. It was frozen! (so was I) Later, someone mentioned that I should've put it in the washing machine for a bit. Good tip, but instead I was heating up small batches of hot water on the stove and pouring it on the hose until I could get it to flow. This took probably an hour or more to work.

I finally got it chilled and it turned out great, but that was one of the biggest PIA brew days I've ever had.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Wife accidentally hit a tap open with a laundry basket as she was leaving the room and didn't notice. Got home to 5 gallons of freshly kegged cider all over the laundry room. I almost cried.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Majafoo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First ag, just moved into a new place. My room mates didn't tell me that the table top wasn't attached to the base, a full cooler mash tun full of hot ass water and grains fell and exploded hot ass water and grains all over me and the ceiling, walls, curtains and door. So many burns....
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
naiek
Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
I had small leak in my kegerator hose and 3 1/2 gallons of one of my best batches leaked out all over the floor of my garage overnight.
The thought of this has gotten me up in the middle of the night to check my taps

Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Mine was a 6 gallon batch raspberry light ale with about 5 lbs of berries, didnt have blowoff tube, just lighty sat bubbler on glass carboy. Doing fine first day, next bubbler had slowed down alot. Thinking it may be clogged I leaned over slowly removed bubbler from stopper, and pop out came the whole stopper, there was about half a carboy of a nice red chunky mess all over my face, the ceiling, walls, carpet. Wife at first wondered how I had seriously hurt myself except I was naked from leaving all my clothes at the laundry before I went upstairs to take a shower, and I was LMAO. Then I had some cleaning up to do.
mmead Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrooen View Post
Wife accidentally hit a tap open with a laundry basket as she was leaving the room and didn't notice. Got home to 5 gallons of freshly kegged cider all over the laundry room. I almost cried.
That sucks.

This reminds me of something. Same house (rental) the landlord hired an electrician to do some work. Somehow, he managed to cut the top off of my favorite fishing pole, climed on and dented the top of my newly built keezer, and when I went to complain about those things, my landlord said "Oh yeah, I accidentally knocked a tap open and spilt some beer, sorry", I guess he was there 'helping'.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

http://bertusbrewery.blogspot.com/20...nguin-rip.html

I had to dump a 14-16% ABV IPA with over a pound of hops in it. I wanted to cry. (mini fridge died)

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Not me, but I remember a story from a member here. His cat used his grain bucket for a litter box when he wasn't looking. Didn't realize till mash in......
(Unfortunately) this reminds me of the BW's commercial about the guy who brews his own beer.