Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Control Panel Weight - Mounting Idea

Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Control Panel Weight - Mounting Idea

For those of you that use the 16 x 16 x 8 control panel with the average array of components (2 SSRs, contactors, etc), how much would you guess it weights? I've been trying to solve the ever present "where do I mount my panel" question, as I can't attach it to the walls, don't want to attach it to my brew stand, and don't want to build something free-standing.

In the hopes of building something that would allow the panel to be easily accessible when I needed it, but well out of the way when I didn't, I designed my own ceiling mounted jib crane. I've attached a shotty drawing of what I want to build. It will be built out of 2" .120wall tubing and 9/16" bolts at the bushings. Depending on how much the panels might weigh, I will adjust the arm lengths so I'm not maxing out the torque load on the joints. I'm hoping to make the longer arm about 2' and the short arm 18-20".

This should allow me to mount the panel to the ceiling, swing it out of the way when not in use, but then have it with me wherever I need to be within the vicinity of the brewing area.

If I go through with the design I'll post some detailed information on the build.

Thoughts?
-Kevin

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount Solution.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	82919  

Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't weighed mine, but I'm guessing it's about 35 pounds. Mine's a kinda Kal clone, with most of the circuitry minus the digital power displays and a few other things. I'm currently using a Flat panel TV mount/articulated arm to hold it. The arm was rated for a 60-80# TV, and I have that temporarily mounted to a 2x4 bolted to the side of my stand. It's eventually getting mounted to a finished wall that's not up yet.

Here's a few pics, and you can see that the arm is having a bit of a hard time supporting the weight, even when not extended.

So, my factor of two was not enough on the arm - I'll be having to upgrade or beef it up in the future.

Good luck, and keep this thread going with updates - very interested in watching a custom arm being built!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_tip.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	82926   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_mount.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	82927  

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

35# at 4' is 140ftlb of torque which should be well within the capabilities of a 9/16 grade 5 bolt.

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: American Pale Ale
Keg 3: Wee Heavy
Untapped Kegs: Irish Red
Fermenting: Hefeweizen

Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Brettomomyces
#1 yeast whisperer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 180

I know this thread is 2 years old, but it was the closest one that came up when I was doing a search so...CLEAR....ZAP!

I'm in the same boat as BNB, need to mount my heavy Kal clone panel somehow and I'm trying to avoid wall mounting. My brewstand is a commercial kitchen prep table with a bottom shelf, 30"x60". I might wall mount if nothing else...but was wondering if you came up with anything interesting BadNews? How did the ceiling jib work out?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It looks cool, but it's all together a failure for two reasons. 1 - I really don't have the need to move my control panel around while I'm working. My brew stand is 8' wide - my panel lives towards the left side. Even in the most dire of situations, I can reach the panel in under a second. If I move it around, it's in the way more than it's helpful. 2 - Sure, the panel moves around fine, but I didn't account for all the wires, cables, plugs, etc. I'm running 2 elements, 2 pumps, 3 PIDs, 120v to the exhaust fan, and the beefy power supply feeding it all - that's a lot of wiring hanging from the bottom of the panel that has to be dragged around if you move it.

Mounting from the ceiling - easy day. If you have exposed ceiling joists mount a plate between two of them and then have a piece of steel come straight down and have the panel mount to that. Easy, simple, and will end up doing the exact same thing mine does.
-Kevin

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red
10gal Hefeweizen

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: American Pale Ale
Keg 3: Wee Heavy
Untapped Kegs: Irish Red
Fermenting: Hefeweizen