Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher on a "V" Belt?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
KopyKat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Barley Crusher on a "V" Belt?

Just got my new Barley Crusher and it advises not to use a motor and a "V" belt drive. I presume this is because of the strain on the bushing. I would think that for my use of about once a month and not having the belt on too tight that it would last for many years.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is this just a CYA on Randy's part? Anyone have any experience with this to enlighten me?

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Personally I enjoy the 10 minutes or less it takes to crush my grain by hand. Might change my mind if I was doing more then 5gal batches...

Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are ways around putting strain on the bushing. It takes a little more gear, but you could use a short shaft in 2 bearings with shaft couplings to the crusher so that there is no strain on the bushing. Or possibly even one long telfon/nylon bushing for the short shaft. Someone here has a setup in their gallery that uses shaft couplings.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a 24v cordless Black & Decker Drill that I got at Lowe's last Christmas. It was a door buster at $39 complete with a carry bag.

So far, it has gone through 50# of grain plus put up blinds in 4 rooms of my house, all on a single charge.

Works like a charm on the Barley Crusher and will take up less room than building a stand with a motor, not to mention it is cheaper.