Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > I want to sell my home brew!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
sifer16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sorry thinking more like 1000 gallons (which I realize isn't much more)

Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
MyNameIsPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I love these threads!

Can you send me a sample of your beer? I'd love to try the next best thing out there in CA!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Davidsons
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've written several marketing and business plans for nanobreweries in the past year. You can't sell beer from home in CA and the cost for opening a small nanobrewery is usually around $20k-$50k. And this includes the average cost for permits and license which is about $2,300. And as far as waiting to be approved, this is something that is becoming more of a myth since legislation is really starting to recognize craft brewing as a job Creator. It normally takes 3-6months to get approved.

Hit me back if your really interested in this. I really like doing market research and building business plans. Its my other hobbies besides making beer.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Since you are in CA check out....https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-H...12091415508385
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chapp...16053911754681
http://www.healdsburgbeerco.com/Heal...nobrewery.html

They are all fully licensed nanobreweries AND they all operate on the property of their principle residence. You can't do it in your residence but you can do it on your property...subject to local zoning laws. Really not that radical of an idea...think of a winery.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Thegreatestgray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't know if this is legal or not but why not just set up a donation basket for a future brewery and with every ten dollar donation the person gets a free six pack then you see what people like and you earn money to start one

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatestgray View Post
I don't know if this is legal or not but why not just set up a donation basket for a future brewery and with every ten dollar donation the person gets a free six pack then you see what people like and you earn money to start one
No, it's certainly not legal. A "donation basket" is selling homebrew, and in some states it's not even legal to give beer away.

There are no loopholes. In order to sell/trade/barter homebrew, you must get a brewery license and be legal.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
*sigh*

Because ANY medium of exchange, either explicit or implicit for homebrew is ILLEGAL...there' s no if and or butts about it. Any little way you think you can circumvent a very simple law....that selling HOMEBREW is illegal.....Is Illegal.

This HOBBY isn't one like knitting, or canning fruit or painting rocks, where you can sell your wares at the local craft fair. You ever hear about a little "experiment" called prohibition? Because of that Alcohol production is one of the most regulated thingsin North America and for moral issues, probably the entire planet. So much so that even the hobby of homebrewing beer, was still illegal in 1976 over 40 years AFTER all the other aspect of prohibition was over turned. And the biggest thing in the phrasing of the law that made it legal (except for the states where it is still illegal) is a little phrase "personal consumation" and it little mention about how selling or trading it or whatever you may think you can get away with, is ILLEGAL....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Because that is selling homebrew which is against the law
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I suppose one way you could fund your brewery is to do a Kickstarter campaign. Of course you can not offer beer as a reward for pledging.....it would have to be something else. Once you receive your funding you can give away free beer.........subject to your state law of course.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I suppose one way you could fund your brewery is to do a Kickstarter campaign. Of course you can not offer beer as a reward for pledging.....it would have to be something else. Once you receive your funding you can give away free beer.........subject to your state law of course.
Wasn't there a brewery kickstart on here within the last couple of years?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew