Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Will this work inplace of an Erlenmeyer flask?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
That is a great idea. The handle is great too. Ever try to move a hot 3000ML flask when it's about to overflow?

I might consider switching to this. I've got several of these sitting in my basement from old coffee machines. Do you thik the lid is really a problem if it's been sanitized properly? I'd assume the metal band is stainless.

If nothing else I can use it to boil/cool the wort then dump it right into a flask.
I'd caution one thing - his appears to be of a special higher-than-usual tolerance to temp changes. It's boroscilicate just like ERlenmeyers are. I'm not sure if all or most coffee carafes are. I wouldn't want to rapidly chill one in an ice bath that isn't.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wouldn't take the chance of rapidly cooling it, I would just use room temp wort and be done with it.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I know they can take rapid cooling from the brewing hot plate temps because it's how I make my tea for kambutcha and I put it in the sink with ice.. don't know about boiling temps though...
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

It should work fine. A flask is much heavier duty with much thicker glass but the coffee pot is a good alternative. I bet it can go from the stove top to an ice bath just like a flask can.

I'd use tin foil as a cover.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 864 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Here's some info on glass coffee pots: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5801232_sa...ffee-pots.html

Sounds like most of them are borosilicate glass. I'm guessing not laboratory grade, but sounds like they should do the trick.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Why even bother spending the $20 on a flask when you've got that already? I bet it will serve perfectly... Maybe have the lady get you something else.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
That is a great idea. The handle is great too. Ever try to move a hot 3000ML flask when it's about to overflow?

I might consider switching to this. I've got several of these sitting in my basement from old coffee machines. Do you thik the lid is really a problem if it's been sanitized properly? I'd assume the metal band is stainless.

If nothing else I can use it to boil/cool the wort then dump it right into a flask.
Good point. The handle IS a nice feature, and honestly, I bet you could boil in the pot with less chance of boil over without the tapered top!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 864 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Good point. The handle IS a nice feature, and honestly, I bet you could boil in the pot with less chance of boil over without the tapered top!
Yeah - I broke my large erlenmeyer flask a few months ago. It cost me $40 and I only had it a month or so. I was not happy.

I'd be a lot less upset to break a $10 teapot or 2.

Although I will admit that a flask is a lot cooler than a teapot. A teapot will screw up the Dexter's Laboratory thing I've got going on in my basement. Maybe I can get a van de graaff generator to replace it.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #19
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I too would be concerned with rapid cooling in an ice bath. Also, would this work on a gas stove or just a hot plate/surface top? With flame, I'd be concerned with melting the handle or softening it enough to jeopardize the integrity of the handle. Looking forward to hearing the results!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26
Untappd: barrooze

Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #20
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Are you sure about the volume? A standard "cup" of coffee is actually 5 fluid ounces, IIRC. If that's correct, then this pot should hold roughly 900 ml.