Outdoor Keezer vs freezing temps outside - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Outdoor Keezer vs freezing temps outside

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
VegasJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
VegasJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 325
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts



Hey guys,

just as the title says, I have my freezer outside due to SWMBO not wanting it in the house... it has a Johnson digital temp controller on it set at 38, kicks off at 34.

Actually, she said I could put it in the basement but it is too big to take down & back up after winter. So it sits outside... upstairs we have no room for an 8.8cu freezer anywhere.


Anything I can do to keep it from freezing inside the freezer & freezing the kegs too? Any DYI threads on warming a Freezer to stay stable around 34-38 inside temps? I searched, wasn't successful.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 3,090
Liked 421 Times on 309 Posts


Are the Johnsons dual stage?

You need to hook up some form of heating inside hooked up to the heat line of your temperature controller. A lot of people use small reptile lamps you can get at a Petsmart or other store for like 15 bucks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
limulus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
ATL Burbs, Georgia
Posts: 1,466
Liked 93 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
Hey guys,

Anything I can do to keep it from freezing inside the freezer & freezing the kegs too? Any DYI threads on warming a Freezer to stay stable around 34-38 inside temps? I searched, wasn't successful.
...find a new wife?

seriously though, it sounds like you need a dual stage controller and a heating source inside...especially for Pburgh.
__________________
Brewin' on a Medium Brewha BIAC system with glycol


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
VegasJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
VegasJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 325
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts


the johnson A419 - single stage...

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/conte...nglestage.html

guess I should have thought about that before buying this one... Just got it Saturday.

It isn't really SWMBO's doing, we really have no room inside for a chest freezer. I'm still working on her though, into making some room.

we both work at home and she's got this huge desk downstairs.. hmmmm, looks like 1/2 of it has to go! LoL

no, really... what kind of dual stage controller should I be looking for? I've seen the e-bay special sc1000 or whatever it is... but I'm no specialist on wiring crap like that myself. Even if it is easy for others.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
limulus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
ATL Burbs, Georgia
Posts: 1,466
Liked 93 Times on 77 Posts


That ebay sc1000 seems like an easy to build control. I'm going to buy one for a ferm chamber and one for a keezer. There are a couple of threads with color coded wiring diagrams. The Jan/Feb 2012 issue of BYO also has a nice article on the sc1000 controller and how to build it.
__________________
Brewin' on a Medium Brewha BIAC system with glycol


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 3,090
Liked 421 Times on 309 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
That ebay sc1000 seems like an easy to build control. I'm going to buy one for a ferm chamber and one for a keezer. There are a couple of threads with color coded wiring diagrams. The Jan/Feb 2012 issue of BYO also has a nice article on the sc1000 controller and how to build it.
This, go build a STC1000 for ~40 bucks.

Save your johnson as an excuse to build a keezer/kegerator, as that will only need cooling.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,240
Liked 1690 Times on 1087 Posts


You don't want to run the compressor at all while the ambient temps are under 50F. You'll burn that thing out in a couple years. You just need to use your controller to switch a heat source inside the box now.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
jasonkeithscott
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Rochester, New York
Posts: 35


My "keezer" is in the garage as well. I've the Love TSS2-2100 and a simple 100 watt bulb for the heating side. Works great here in Rochester temps. I had it running at 54F for the past three weeks as it was my lagering chamber at the time. Dropped it to 43F today. Outdoor temps have run 30F-45F lately.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,247
Liked 128 Times on 101 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
the johnson A419 - single stage...

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/conte...nglestage.html

guess I should have thought about that before buying this one... Just got it Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You don't want to run the compressor at all while the ambient temps are under 50F. You'll burn that thing out in a couple years. You just need to use your controller to switch a heat source inside the box now.

Agree with Bobby_M that you should not run at low ambient temps, at least without adding the proper pressure controls and crank case heater (probably more expense than its worth). For the short term, your JC 419 is programmable to work in Cooling mode or Heating mode, just not both simultaneously. If your average ambient temps are cool enough, you could use your existing controller as heat only until spring (using heating rock, heating pad, light bulb, etc). Not the perfect solution for those "in between" months, but might get you through till you convince SWMBO that she would be so much better off with a smaller desk!?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ChuckO's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Keyrock, WV
Posts: 1,019
Liked 145 Times on 103 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Agree with Bobby_M that you should not run at low ambient temps, at least without adding the proper pressure controls and crank case heater (probably more expense than its worth). For the short term, your JC 419 is programmable to work in Cooling mode or Heating mode, just not both simultaneously. If your average ambient temps are cool enough, you could use your existing controller as heat only until spring (using heating rock, heating pad, light bulb, etc). Not the perfect solution for those "in between" months, but might get you through till you convince SWMBO that she would be so much better off with a smaller desk!?
Just looked at the owner's manual for my Kenmore 8.8cf freezer. The installation section states "For the most efficient operation, the freezer should be located where surrounding temperature will not exceed 110 deg. F (43 deg. C). Temperatures of 32 deg. F (0 deg. C) and below will NOT affect freezer oparation. Additional compressor heaters are not recommended."

Guess that it depends on the age and/or design of your freezer. Fortunately for a keezer you probably won't be running the compressor if ambient temperature is below 40-45 deg.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever build an outdoor keezer? Ramdough Kegerators & Keezers 4 10-22-2012 02:54 PM
Be careful brewing in below freezing temps Schumed Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-14-2012 12:41 AM
2 Row malt in sub freezing temps rcrabb22 Recipes/Ingredients 8 12-10-2009 04:09 PM
Can Apfelwein tolerate outdoor temps? braddock Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-08-2009 02:50 PM
Outdoor (kind of) Keezer patrad Kegerators & Keezers 7 09-12-2009 10:22 PM


Forum Jump