Working from home is... weird - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Working from home is... weird

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
VegasJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts

Pitts area eh spkguitar??

Cool, if I ever lose my job I'll be contacting you!! LoL

Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
spkguitar
New Brew Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Haha, yeah me too! I'm so used to working from home I wouldn't know what to do if I had to find an office job.

And yeah, I'm out near Bridgeville/Carnegie. So glad I don't have to drive into the city every day. I've had to do it a few times, and I think I would go nuts, though traffic here is nothing compared to D.C. traffic. UGH.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #33
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Amherst, MA
Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts

I've been telecommuting about four months. It is very isolating. None of the usual office chats. It is also very efficient. Online meetings last 10 minutes instead of an hour because there is no schmoozing.

The office is also the brew room. I work to the comforting bubbling music from air locks.

soon they will open an office an hour away in Hartford, CT. Commuting will truly suck. All of us are hoping they will only expect 1, maybe 2 days per week.

Quote:
-I can spend time with my wife in the next room. By this I mean I shout "I love you" every hour or so through the door.
Unimaginative. I'm just sayin'.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #34
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7027 Times on 4161 Posts

Self-employed work at home here.

I love it. I tend to work too long hours, but I also screw off with you douches all day, so it all evens out.

I wear wireless headphones all day. Not sure why, it's mostly just my dog and me here. Helps me focus. Pandora when I'm designing/coding, podcasts when I'm soldering/techwork/debugging.

Usually around 1 or 2pm I either jog or go for a rid on my bike. Until then, I'm always in my pajama shorts. I get the coffee going and start working withing minutes of rolling out of bed.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Things have been slow lately work from home-wise, so last Friday I put in an application for a real life "Proper" job. When I told Mrs. Gnome she was all like "Oh No" "Don't do that! I want you home" And I was all kinda "But Mrs. Gnome, we need the money! I don't want to wait for things to pick up!" Then she went all "Wait longer! I'll miss you when I'm not at work, PLEASE don't get a real job!" Then I went all "OK then"

It appears she likes me to be at home. I think it's because she knows how studly and attractive to hot babes I am in the outside world.

Women, ya can't live with them, and you can't live without hiding a few dead ones in a dumpster.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #36
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

My little experiment comes to an end this coming wednesday. Good thing too, I was going absolutely stir-crazy.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #37
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts

By Monday you'll be thinking "my co workers are absolute morons and I can't get anything done. I wish I was working at home still"

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
By Monday you'll be thinking "my co workers are absolute morons and I can't get anything done. I wish I was working at home still"
What he said! Maybe it's just because I live in Ohio though. There is nothing I need to see or nobody I need to meet within 50 miles of me.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #39
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Hmmm That was timely! There was me just thinking about what I could do to supplement my income, and out of the blue I get an email from the person who bought my last four paintings from when I painted a few years ago. He has been keeping an eye out for more of them for the last four or five years! More or less guaranteed sales at a decent price based on what he paid for the last ones. It's a case of either getting back on that particular horse, or doing some grossly underpaid crowdsourcing work in the slack periods. decisions, decisions.........Do something I like that messes with my nerves, or do something I don't like that messes with my wallet........Either way it won't be easy, and I have become accustomed to easy.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #40

Good luck, LGI