Working from home is... weird - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Working from home is... weird

Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Highlands Ranch, CO
Liked 147 Times on 115 Posts

Getting ready for family to come in for Thanksgiving, and just set a spare bed up in my office. May not get much work done this week and next

Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southern Oregon
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts

Working without pants on and not having to worry about where to hold all those single dollars, priceless.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Jukas
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts

Wife leaving you a 5 + item honey do list every day because you work from home so you must have free time to do all that ****e. Not so priceless.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
rausched
Recipes 

Feb 2009
, Indiana

Working from home is great; I did it for about 10 months and my frisby golf game was showing huge improvements. I think my dog enjoyed it too.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rausched View Post
Working from home is great; I did it for about 10 months and my frisby golf game was showing huge improvements. I think my dog enjoyed it too.
Dogs love peanut butter. Almost as much as they love licking genitals.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Ashz

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have worked remotely for about six years. I now manage an entire division of remote employees. Some people can do it, some can't. It is a delicate balance. My biggest complaint is that I tend to work late into the night. Difficult to balance the home life while working from home. It is also difficult to get dressed for the public.

What I like most? I work from home. I honestly would not know what to do if I had to go back to an office with, *gasp* coworkers.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashz View Post
It is also difficult to get dressed for the public.
Ah yes indeed!! "What? Put pants on just to go to the store? I'll just move really quickly, nobody will notice."

Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
VegasJ

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts

another home worker here. My office is in Las Vegas & 2 years ago I moved to PA but continued to work for the Vegas office.

I run 3 27" monitors, a VPN connection so I can open Outlook locally & mostly 1 remote session into our terminal server - sometimes 2 remote sessions 1 in the term server & 1 into the file server for data maintenance stuff.

When I mentioned leaving Vegas to get the F out of the dusty hell hole I was going into the office about 3 times a week already, & working from home the other 2 or 3 days...

So when I approached my then boss I asked, "other than face-to-face meetings... what would be the difference if I do it 30 miles away or 3000?" He said in a nutshell, "good point, drive careful, & good luck". He is no longer my boss... but the guy in line for that position <3's me because he asks for something and tells me "no rush"... but I always rush on it for him. He's cool. OUR boss, one of the owners, told me I'm his 'special projects guy'... he also gives me things to do for him (website redesign, data report creating) and says no rush too... but again, I do what I need to get it that day. The owner has even said to me, 'I know a lot of people just can't work from home & I don't know if I'd feel ok about them giving the actual work & hours... but you, I know you stay busy'

Been working out so far & I love it too... I'd have no clue what I'd do if I lost this job, I'm not an office environment type of guy. As for the pajamas with a sword... LoL - for the 1st months or 2 after I got out here and setup... when the boss would call to check on me I'd remind him he had no clue if I was nakid, just in tighty-whities, or actually dressed.

The hours in Vegas are 7am-5pm which is 10am-8pm here... but my hours range from 7am - 8pm here all week mainly in case someone calls. Our shop guys get in at 3-4am in Vegas so I have to be ready for them in case they have software issues & the office guys that work until 5pm call me up to 9pm here sometimes.

And yes, co-workers seem to avoid you more easily. When I shoot off an email for one of them to do something I rarely hear back, not for a few hours at least. My office ext is forwarded to my home phone here. So if someone calls & hits my extension it rings my office phone - brilliant!

LOTS of pro's in my mind. I do work longer hours than the office, & yes, there are more breaks in those hrs... but 5 hrs of uninterrupted work is way better than 10hrs of interruptions & distractions. If I work a Sunday (only day I get everyone is off the software & backups can be ran) I eff off on Monday or the following Friday to try and help keeping personal life normal.

Reason: edited, DUH

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
Whattawort

Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

Good 'ol Uncle Sam doesn't want us to telecommute unless you're on extended sick leave but can still work or if you're on TDY. Not sure if they realize we can be just as unproductive at home as we are in the office. I don't think I would do well by working at home though. SWMBO doesn't work and I have a 3yr old who doesn't understand that computers can be used for anything other than games. I'm sure SWMBO would see it as a perfect opportunity to give me a honey-do list 3 miles long and take her time shopping while I juggle the kid and work. Nuh uh. I'll keep my 25min drive and deal with the tards here.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #30
spkguitar
New Brew Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm a work from home guy as well. Been that way for 6 years now. I used to live and work in the D.C. area, but got laid off and decided to sell my house (right before the bubble burst; lucky me) and move back "home" to Pittsburgh.

Right before I moved away, an old friend and co-worker contacted me to ask me if I was looking for work. My response was "Yes, but..." and he replied "That's OK, just work from home."

It's great, and I love it. I also don't know what I would do if I lost this job.

And indeed, SWMBO has a hard time understanding that just because I'm at home doesn't mean I'm available whenever she needs something, like watching *our* 3 year old.

I find myself working late into the evening most days.