Brewing a Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester4176

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Scottish ale as I type. Repcipe calls for 2oz Willamette for 60 min with no other hops. I have some Kent Goldings 6.6%AA in the freezer. Should I throw them in with the Willamette, or just go with one hop addition? What say the board?

I'd stick with the one hop addition myself. I typically use Target hops in my Scottish but Willamette should be fine. Scottish ale is all about the malt character and very little about the hops; the hops are really just there to prevent it from being too sweet. Adding the Goldings wouldn't hurt, but you don't really want to add hop complexity to a Scottish.

Agreed, the Goldings will be fine. Are you adding them in place of the Willamette? I'd say just use enough to add the same AA level at 60 min.

EKG is a good hop for a Scottish. I also use a small flavor hop addition, but only because I use Pacific Gem with the EKG. It lends a blackberry flavor which really goes well with the style. Have to be careful though since hopping really should be minimal for the style as the others have mentioned.

Ditto on the minimal hopping recommendations.
I use EKG for mine but Willamette would also work. It is an American cultivar of Fuggles.

Stuck with the 2oz Willamette since I was in the middle of brewing when I asked. Should have thought to ask earlier. Oh well...I'm sure it will turn out fine. It's chugging away in the closet to the tune of about 2 bubbles a second. Since it was a PM, grain bill was small. Here's the recipe Killian:

11lbs Light Malt Extract
1lb Crystal malt
2oz Chocolate malt
1 cup light brown sugar
2oz Willamette pellets
1/2 tsp gypsum
1tsp irish moss
1qt starter of Edinburgh Ale yeast. LHBS was out of Scottish ale yeast, so I subbed this.

Steeped malts at 155 for 30 min. Rinsed grains, added LME, sugar, and gypsum to pot. Brought water level to 6.5 gallons. Meant to bring to 6, but lost count and over filled. Brought to a boil, added hops and boiled for 60 min, adding Irish moss with 10 min left in boil. OG 1.077.

Back