Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottling High ABV beer when the yeast has pooped out - suggestions?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default Bottling High ABV beer when the yeast has pooped out - suggestions?

So here's the pertinent info. Memorial day we did a barrel brew of a Russian Imperial Stout. This was pitched into a 53 gal Bourbon Barrel (that apparently still had some bourbon in it, how much I do not know). This beer was pulled out of the barrel last night and I would like to get this sucker bottled but I am not sure I will be able to with the beer at its current state. I don't normally do this high of a gravity beer, and I really do not bottle all that much either. So I am at a loss at the moment.

Brewed on 5/28/2012
OG: 1.116

A HEALTHY pitch of 1098 was thrown in (supplied form a local micro).

The gravity got down to 1.040 (which is where 1098 poops out), so some S-05 was thrown on it, which had zero effect.

Gravity was still 1.040 last night when it was pulled. Even if I add priming sugar at this point, the ABV (right at 10%) will be too high for any yeast that may still be in this beer to actually carbonate, correct (since 1098 is only tolerant up to 10%)?

The beer tastes fantastic, I'm not concerned about wringing extra gravity points out of it. I just want to be able to bottle up my 7 gal worth and let it carbonate and condition. Even going to put some in some fancy 750 ml cage and cork bottles (I said I don't bottle all that often ). At the same time, I don't want to make any bottle bombs either.

So what do I need to do to ensure that this sucker will carbonate in the bottle? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
mavrick1903
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subscribed. Having done similar myself. Diddnt use the barrel, Used chips on mine. But it's a high grav ImpStout. I even added extra sugar during fermintation (got krausen so I think it did fine). But because of the late addition of sugar I'm not sure where I'm at, as I dont really have the "original" gravity.

Dont mean to threadjack, but I'm interested in the advice you get.

Reason: Spelling

Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I would pitch ec-1118. At this point the beer yeasts have already made their flavor contribution, so the champage yeast will not add much, but may dry it out a little. It's tollerent up to 18% and is designed to ferment simple sugars dry. You'll be left with some of the longer chains, but it may bring your FG down a little. Give it a few days to work before you add priming sugar and bottle.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

yeah, i'm not entirely sure I want to add the champagne yeast. We had thought of that, and I really don't want to dry this out at all.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
yeah, i'm not entirely sure I want to add the champagne yeast. We had thought of that, and I really don't want to dry this out at all.

New Yeast strain from Danstar

BUT not sure anyone has it available yet

Danstar's description:

"CBC-1 has been especially selected for it's refermentation properties and is recommended for Cask and Bottle Conditioning. CBC-1 referments beers up to 12-14% ABV due to its high resistance to alcohol and pressure; it does not produce flavors therefore conserving the original character of the beer. The yeast will settle and form a tight mat at the end of refermentation."

See

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products...ned-beer-yeast

Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
adding champagne yeast shouldnt do anything to the fg. if S-05 didnt do anything, champagne won't. the s-05 should carbonate it fine tho. add some sugar/honey in and see if it stirs up any activity, if it does, you're good to bottle.

also, 1098 shouldnt have a problem going over 10% if pitched properly

Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
New Yeast strain from Danstar

BUT not sure anyone has it available yet

Danstar's description:

"CBC-1 has been especially selected for it's refermentation properties and is recommended for Cask and Bottle Conditioning. CBC-1 referments beers up to 12-14% ABV due to its high resistance to alcohol and pressure; it does not produce flavors therefore conserving the original character of the beer. The yeast will settle and form a tight mat at the end of refermentation."

See

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products...ned-beer-yeast
talked to my LHBS today, and they are ordering in some of this. In a week I"ll get to play with some. I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I clicked on this reading only pooped out- suggestions.. way different than I though it would be.

Be sure to report back sounds interesting

2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!