Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 20 with a Top Tier Stand

Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Brutus 20 with a Top Tier Stand

I am looking at upgrading my weldless disaster of a stand to a Blingman Top Tier. The versatility of it has sold me on it, my only problem is my bottom draining MLT. I will still have 3 vessels that I can utilize for very large beers that need the extra sparging.

What I am envisioning is using one of the burner shelves minus the burner just installed upside down for the MLT, and having a normal PID controlled burner for the HLT/BK. Later on down the line I can buy the other burner tier to use all 3 vessels as a Brutus 10 when need be. I will use the HERMS system in my HLT/BK in a Brutus 20 setup to step mash/keep mash as I can't direct fire my MLT.

I have searched for other that have a 2 vessel (Brutus 20) on a top tier, and haven't found any. I welcome any feedback/suggestions.

Thanks,
-G

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
swackattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No suggestions as to your set up but i have one and absolutely love it.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There was another person on the forum that had a bottom drain setup on a toptier. He cut up one of the burners to remove the center ring and keep the outer ring for structural integrity. The link below has a link in the post to pictures.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/comp...system-309918/

If you were using a shelf I guess you could somehow drill a hole in the sheet metal to feed your drain through. Or just replace your mash tun and sell your bottom drain online here.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Barnesie, thanks for the link. I think I am leaning towards a shelf with a hole cut out for my MLT.

Does anybody have any pictures of a counterflow chiller mounted on a top tier stand, I cant seem to find any examples?

Thanks,
-G

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n View Post
Barnesie, thanks for the link. I think I am leaning towards a shelf with a hole cut out for my MLT.

Does anybody have any pictures of a counterflow chiller mounted on a top tier stand, I cant seem to find any examples?

Thanks,
-G
If you can mount something to a square nut, you can mount it to the stand. I haven't seen any pictures of a counterflow mount either, but I got a stand with a plate chiller mount and that's what I went with.