Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to bottle?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Bbbeldums1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to bottle?

I just got a Mr. Beer brew kit over a week ago. Last Sunday (28th), I made a batch of American Light beer that came with kit. I'm wondering when I can do the priming with the sugar. I bought a slimline 2.5 gallon container to transfer the beer that has been fermenting in the mr beer keg, to the beer/priming sugar stage. I have a lot of clean beer bottles that I've been cleaning all week, with a capper and new caps. I'm just wondering if 7 days (today) would be ok to start priming the beer, or should I wait 2 weeks, instead of one? The mr beer instructions say to wait a week, but I've read online to wait longer. Any help on the subject would be great! Thanks!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 237

I assume that you did not get a hydrometer with the Mr Beer kit. If you don't have one you cannot determine when you reach final gravity the proper way so I would err on the very long side. I would suggest that you bottle no earlier than two weeks after brew day and 3+ weeks would be better.

The biggest risk in bottling too early is for safety. If the beer is still fermenting and you add the priming sugar, then bottle you can get carbonation pressures high enough to explode the bottles.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Longer fermentations are better (to a point). Personally, I never ferment less than 2 weeks. 3 weeks is my normal timeline. I know how hard it is to wait, but time is the friend of your beer. After one week in the fermenter, you almost certainly have beer. After 2-3 weeks in the fermenter, that beer is almost certainly going to be better than the one week old beer. Try to be patient. It is one of the steps on the road from making beer to making REALLY GOOD beer!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

3 weeks minimum in most cases

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My first brew was with a Mr. Beer kit brewing the California Pale Ale. I left it in the fermenter for 15 days before bottling. I bottle conditioned for 2 weeks at around 68 degrees. Then put a bottle in the fridge for 2-3s day before trying it. Came out great for my 1st attempt! Be patient, and you will be rewarded. After my first taste I was so pumped I ordered a 5 gal brewing kit...hehe.
Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary#3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
On Deck: Stout

Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

2 weeks minimum unless you can measure your final gravity and ensure that fermentation has completed.