Apfelwein gets you drunk at "warp" speeds... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Apfelwein gets you drunk at "warp" speeds...

Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
jcam91

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio

I've had this same problem, your main problem will be finding a good cider to start with as a base as most comercail ones are poor in the taste department.
Being in NM this plays a big factor. 5 dollars a gallon for a "local" cider. This seems high?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
booherbg
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey guys. The problem with making a sweet cider is that there is no sugar left after the yeast get done with it. This leaves you two options:

1. Add sugar, but kill yeast. This makes it uncarbonated and with no guarantee that you've killed all the sugar.

2. Add non-fermentable sugar...

What I ended up doing was this, and it turned out great:

apple juice + 4lb honey, 1lb brown sugar

at bottling, I primed with 6oz of priming sugar, then added 8oz of lactose sugar (non-fermentable) and bottled.

Turned out great, so far no bottle bombs (cross fingers). Well carbonated, lightly semi-sweet, fizzy like champagne. I also spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg which gave it an excellent holiday character to the smell. Overall I'm so happy with it! Only 5 weeks old and 8%, it's delicious.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2993 Times on 1736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91

Being in NM this plays a big factor. 5 dollars a gallon for a "local" cider. This seems high?
During this drought and crappy apple harvest year, that's pretty good. I paid $8/gal in Wisconsin.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Cambone
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Milford, NH
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Yeah, prison hooch does that.
Come on now, Apfelwine isn't that bad

Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
huntingohio
Recipes 

Jan 2011
rural, ohio
Liked 55 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambone View Post
Come on now, Apfelwine isn't that bad
youll find theres alot of hate for cider here, most threads someone will bust in with "prison hooch". Not sure where it comes from because cider can be truly amazing. It in fact was really critical to the founding of this country. The wives tale that the first thing done when the "pilgrims" landed was brew beer is incorrect. What they brewed would be akin to gruit. From record it was thought to have apples as a base fermentable. Cider in fact was find in the cellar of most homes all the way into the begging of the industrial revolution. At that point its thought that advetising campaigns and cheaper beer made it unfashionable.
Cider was even reported to be tha favored drink of Ernest Hemingway. There are several historical accounts of french winemakers visiting american cidery sampling the grog and marveling at how good it was.

In summation cider is good and F@#K livers!!
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio View Post
youll find theres alot of hate for cider here, most threads someone will bust in with "prison hooch". Not sure where it comes from because cider can be truly amazing. It in fact was really critical to the founding of this country. The wives tale that the first thing done when the "pilgrims" landed was brew beer is incorrect. What they brewed would be akin to gruit. From record it was thought to have apples as a base fermentable. Cider in fact was find in the cellar of most homes all the way into the begging of the industrial revolution. At that point its thought that advetising campaigns and cheaper beer made it unfashionable.
Cider was even reported to be tha favored drink of Ernest Hemingway. There are several historical accounts of french winemakers visiting american cidery sampling the grog and marveling at how good it was.

In summation cider is good and F@#K livers!!
Hard cider is great.

"Apfelwein" is fortified apple juice.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #17
huntingohio
Recipes 

Jan 2011
rural, ohio

Quote:
Hard cider is great.

"Apfelwein" is fortified apple juice.
Umm then what is cider?
Cider is litterally apple juice with parts of pulp in suspension. Now if when brewing you cider if you add anything to it say fermentable sugars, malic or lactic acid, really anything but more cider, it is now "fortified juice" with bits of pulp in suspension.It infact has been common practice since cider was made in eroupe to add spices or more fermentables, usally in an attempt to cover up of flavors created by the wild yeast and acetobacter present on many apples.
Its kinda like do you want orange juice with pulp or without. I prefere it with but without it its still orange juice. This is the kinda stuff that reminds me of when I got a rather nasty email from some elitist basically half swear words. The main point of the email was that I was an arsehole for calling anything but the ferment beverage from a grape wine. He even aserted that all but grapes is just simply a ferment juice.
People

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio View Post
Umm then what is cider?
Cider is litterally apple juice with parts of pulp in suspension. Now if when brewing you cider if you add anything to it say fermentable sugars, malic or lactic acid, really anything but more cider, it is now "fortified juice" with bits of pulp in suspension.It infact has been common practice since cider was made in eroupe to add spices or more fermentables, usally in an attempt to cover up of flavors created by the wild yeast and acetobacter present on many apples.
Its kinda like do you want orange juice with pulp or without. I prefere it with but without it its still orange juice. This is the kinda stuff that reminds me of when I got a rather nasty email from some elitist basically half swear words. The main point of the email was that I was an arsehole for calling anything but the ferment beverage from a grape wine. He even aserted that all but grapes is just simply a ferment juice.
People
If it's clear and yella, you got juice there fella. If it's dark and brown, you're in cider town.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
huntingohio
Recipes 

Jan 2011
rural, ohio

Quote:
If it's clear and yella, you got juice there fella. If it's dark and brown, you're in cider town.
Not disagreeing with you, if the choice is cider or juice.. imma take the cider. Reality is though the fda defines the difference as cider having the starch from the fruit flesh in it, juice having it filtered out.

So the extra straches and pectin are the only real difference.

I have made the exact apfelwine recipie with cider and juice, the difference is the cider gives it more "body" the juice is thin

Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
jcam91

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

For those of you living on the eastern area of the country, is cider available all year? Here it's available late October early November but expensive