Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Carbonation for a Bourbon infused stout
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Carbonation for a Bourbon infused stout

I have a carbonation question. I brewed 5 gallons of a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone, fermented and moved to secondary. Then we bottled 2.5 gallons and transferred the other 2.5 gallons to a 3 gallon carboy, where we added 1 ounce of oak cubes that had been soaking in 8 ounces Maker's Mark bourbon for a week, plus the bourbon, to the 3 gallon carboy and have had it aging for about 2 months. We use priming sugar for carbonation and was wondering if we had to add more priming sugar to the bourbon beer than we did with the non bourbon half? We got a really nice carbonation in the Breakfast Stout clone and would be happy with the same carbonation results, but I am not sure if the bourbon would alter the results. The ABV of the Founders clone came out to 8.2%. What would 8 ounces of bourbon add alcohol wise to the beer? Would it be recommended to add more yeast at bottling time?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
struggling author
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3118 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

That depends on the upper tolerance limit of the yeast you used. I brewed a dark ale,puting 5 jiggers of Beam's Black on 4oz of medium toast french oak chips in an airtight container in the fridge for the duration of primary. I re-hydrated 4/7g packets of Cooper's ale yeast,which can take about 8%ABV. Worked pretty well too. Watch those re-hydrate temps. They need to be like 90-105F. Poured all through a hop sack into secondary,tied it off,& dumped the chip bag in to rack the dark ale onto them. Took two months to condition properly. But I do honestly think it needed more carbonation. I say to up the VCO2 a little bit. But be carefull,don't overdo it or you'll mess with the flavor profile.
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle!
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle!