Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Leaving town for 2 weeks. Bottle cider now?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
ersheff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Leaving town for 2 weeks. Bottle cider now?

Hi, y'all.
I made a cider exactly 2 weeks ago. Heated 1 gallon of fresh cider with no preservatives from the local coop and 1 cup of dark brown sugar to 190F to pasteurize. Let it cool overnight and pitched the yeast (some wine yeast in a red packet that was recommended by the LHBS, forgot the name) the next morning.
Bubbled away and appears to have been fermenting out just fine.
Unfortunately, I'm leaving town for 2 weeks tomorrow.
Should I bottle now (priming if necessary depending on residual sweetness) and throw it in the fridge until I come back? I assume it will pick up a tiny bit of carbonation in the fridge and I can pull all the bottles out back to room temp to carbonate more if desired.
Or, should I leave it in the carboy until I get back and back-sweeten as needed?
It's my first cider, so I don't know what the typical life cycle looks like.
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
BFR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

personally.... rack it into a secondary (just to get it off the spent yeast cake) and leave for 2 weeks if ferment is not finished than it gives it time to, otherwise it gives it time to clear and age a little

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yup, I agree with BFR. Just make sure there is water in your airlock before you go.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23