What makes Sam Adams taste the way it does? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What makes Sam Adams taste the way it does?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts



I ask because I don't like the way Sam Adams tastes, so I'd like to avoid whatever it is. Is it the hops they use?

TIA

Rick



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,336
Liked 1501 Times on 1239 Posts


Which Sam Adams, They make many different beers.
What makes it taste the way it tastes? Well, that would be the recipe and the method they use to brew it.

If you don't like it don't drink it. Sam Adams is one of my favorite breweries.

Maybe you can email them for the ingredients.

The chance that you would make a beer that tastes like Sam Adams is pretty slim unless you were to actually try to make it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Which Sam Adams, They make many different beers.
What makes it taste the way it tastes? Well, that would be the recipe and the method they use to brew it.

If you don't like it don't drink it. Sam Adams is one of my favorite breweries.

Maybe you can email them for the ingredients.

The chance that you would make a beer that tastes like Sam Adams is pretty slim unless you were to actually try to make it.
Just the regular brew. I'm guessing it's either the yeast used or the hops. It has a rusty metallic bite at the end that I just hate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jwalk4's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Posts: 934
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts


I used to be super wary of breweries that produce as many different labels as Sam Adams does. I used to have more of a Steamwhistle philosophy towards brewing and breweries, that is, to "do one thing really well".

Then I had a Boston Lager.

Boy was I mistaken.
__________________
Fermenter 1 - Vienna /Saaz SMaSH
Fermenter 2 - Dry as a bone
Drinking - various craft brews, Tiny Bottom PA
Beer styles I'm trying to nail down: APA, Porter, Mild, Amber, & Something Yellow and Fizzy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Just the regular brew. I'm guessing it's either the yeast used or the hops. It has a rusty metallic bite at the end that I just hate.
You need to be a bit more specific than that. Boston Ale, Boston Lager, etc.?

Personally, when I was buying beer, the Boston Ale was often a crap shoot to get something that didn't have a bitter finish to it. The Boston Lager finished cleaner. Still, I've not bought either (for home) in about two years, since I've been brewing. If I'm out, and that's the best choice, I'll have to decide between that and soda. Normally, the soda wins.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You need to be a bit more specific than that. Boston Ale, Boston Lager, etc.?

Personally, when I was buying beer, the Boston Ale was often a crap shoot to get something that didn't have a bitter finish to it. The Boston Lager finished cleaner. Still, I've not bought either (for home) in about two years, since I've been brewing. If I'm out, and that's the best choice, I'll have to decide between that and soda. Normally, the soda wins.
Sorry, the Boston Lager. For a good while it was their only product offered out here in the hinterlands.

Rick

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Sorry, the Boston Lager. For a good while it was their only product offered out here in the hinterlands.

Rick
Probably because that's the only recipe that they could get people to stomach, and want more of.

I was never really satisfied with what Sam Adams sells. It's one of the reasons why I've gone as far as I have into brewing my own.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Probably because that's the only recipe that they could get people to stomach, and want more of.

I was never really satisfied with what Sam Adams sells. It's one of the reasons why I've gone as far as I have into brewing my own.
I hear you. About the only thing I can find local that's worth the effort are the offerings from our one and only micro brewery. Their English Brown Ale and their Oktoberfest are quite good.

I'm hoping with some practice I too can brew something good.

Rick

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


My English brown ale is going on tap today. I just need to clean the line that my honey ale was on (kicked last night).

Brew more and you'll get even better. Depending on where you're getting your recipes, you could look into better sources. I've been brewing my own recipes since my third batch.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
F250
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 517
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
My English brown ale is going on tap today. I just need to clean the line that my honey ale was on (kicked last night).

Brew more and you'll get even better. Depending on where you're getting your recipes, you could look into better sources. I've been brewing my own recipes since my third batch.
I'm still trying to decide if my next brew will be an English brown, or an Irish red. I've got an Oktoberfest kit I need to use once I find a 2nd fridge for the basement.

I hope your brown ale turns out great!

Rick



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This makes homebrew beer taste better.... howabouttheiris General Beer Discussion 2 09-25-2011 02:19 AM
What makes Red Stripe taste greasy? Radegast Recipes/Ingredients 12 07-21-2011 03:08 PM
Why does Sam Adams IPA taste so much like any Sam Adams beer? kansasbrew General Beer Discussion 31 07-03-2011 12:15 PM
Taste...what makes the most difference? TwoHeadsBrewing General Techniques 6 04-19-2008 02:06 AM


Forum Jump