Sugar Addition to bump gravity? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sugar Addition to bump gravity?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
TimmyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TimmyR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
S. Illinois
Posts: 171
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts



G'day all,

I brewed an IPA 8-days ago, and undershot my target gravity of 1.068 by 5 points (it was an obvious volume issue I should have caught and just boiled longer).

I pitched WLP090 and was going to add 1/2#-1# (3-6% of total fermentables) of clear liquid candi sugar to each 5.5 gallon carboy (1.032 ppt) and at least bump it by 3-6 points per carboy. I could not add this week since I was gone and both were blowing off before I left on my trip.

Is there any reason not to add the sugar today along wtih my first dry-hop dose? Both ferments are still slowly bubbling away?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Adding the sugar will dry out the batch. Plus adding it with the dry hops means you'll have active fermentation going, that will blow away at least part of what dry hopping normally gives a batch.

If it was me, I'd just leave the sugar out of the batch and continue on. IMO/IME, you'll get a better brew that way.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
tgmartin000
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Denver, CO
Posts: 1,255
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


Agreed. Six points isn't enough to fret about IMO. Plus that liquid candy sugar is like $10/lb.

Btw how do you like the wlp090? That's the san Diego super, right?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
TimmyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TimmyR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
S. Illinois
Posts: 171
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Agreed. Six points isn't enough to fret about IMO. Plus that liquid candy sugar is like $10/lb.

Btw how do you like the wlp090? That's the san Diego super, right?
No fretting thus far. Just thinking about giving it a little oomph. I love WLP090. Ferments fast and drops clear, has attenuated well for me to this point. Checking on my IPA today to see where we are at.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,589
Liked 624 Times on 546 Posts


Sure you can add the sugar now. The yeast activity will churn up some of the trub, so you need to account for extra time for it to clear.

Save the dry hops until the yeast has done it's work on the extra sugar.

As noted by others, sugar will dry it out some. Personally I prefer drier IPAs, and often use 5 to 10% table sugar to help bring down the FG. There is nothing wrong with using sugar as long as you know what to expect from it.

Why use candi-sugar? Even the Belgians supposedly don't use it, and use common beet (table) sugar.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
TimmyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TimmyR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
S. Illinois
Posts: 171
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Sure you can add the sugar now. The yeast activity will churn up some of the trub, so you need to account for extra time for it to clear.

Save the dry hops until the yeast has done it's work on the extra sugar.

As noted by others, sugar will dry it out some. Personally I prefer drier IPAs, and often use 5 to 10% table sugar to help bring down the FG. There is nothing wrong with using sugar as long as you know what to expect from it.

Why use candi-sugar? Even the Belgians supposedly don't use it, and use common beet (table) sugar.
Current gravity is 1.010, and 7.1%. I decided to blow off adding sugar. It'll dry out a little further. I chose liquid candi sugar because it was an easy way to add it

Where did you read or hear the Belgians won't use Belgian candi sugar?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,589
Liked 624 Times on 546 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
Where did you read or hear the Belgians won't use Belgian candi sugar?
I've seen and read it in several places. Only reference I can give is "Brew Like a Monk", where they indicate many of the Belgian brewers use plain sugar.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sugar addition darkstar37 General Techniques 5 02-04-2013 06:29 PM
EdWort's Apfelwein bump to 3lbs sugar Firstnten Cider Forum 15 11-03-2011 03:58 PM
Dme addition to bump ABV PijanyPole Extract Brewing 1 01-14-2011 04:54 AM
sugar addition castillo Recipes/Ingredients 7 11-25-2008 02:38 AM
malts to bump a helles (limited selection) target gravity nathan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 06-07-2008 09:21 PM


Forum Jump